Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So I've been experiencing the ""˜juddering' problems a lot of you have mentioned on my 1.6 automatic BMax (64 plate). The car is 3 and a half years old and has done 19,000 miles.

Last week I was having real problems, car was making grinding noises and the gears were completely sticking (ie, car wasn't moving!) when I was trying to move off and the ""˜transmission malfunction' warning light came on.

Took it to a Ford main dealer today and they have told me I need a new gearbox and quoted me £3,500 to do the honours. I have had the car 3 months!!

They say my car is out of warranty by 6 months. I've read in posts here that there is an extended 5 year warranty on the automatic gearbox, does anyone have any info on this?

Has anyone here successfully had their gearbox changed under warranty?

Help!

Many thanks

Swood

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have found the same. After I had bought mine (2014 model) last November, I asked the salesman about the gearbox issues. He told me there was a five year warranty. A couple of weeks back the service dept told me it was only a three year warranty on my particular car. ...I do have a slight judder on mine now and again. If it gets worse I was advised to take it up with Fords. Dealers can only do what Ford allow them to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife has had her b max 3 months and we had the software upgrade done by a Ford approved engineer which seemed to work then last week it started again. I read the 5 year Ford warranty expired in June 2018.The car is a 62 plate and has done just 25000 miles. What is the cost to replace the gearbox with the 2017 spec unit, does anyone know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Only swood says he has an automatic gear box.I'm assuming the other posters do. Do any of you have the original paper work from the previous owners?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes it is the clutches on my wife's auto B-Max but i heard maybe wrongly that the best thing to do was get the 17 spec gearbox and clutch assembly as there are other mods to the gearbox that are beneficial. We both love the car itself so don't want to swap it as it is great for carting the grandkids and their kit about.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not all BMaxes are created equal. Some have a 5yr warranty some don't, mine doesn't I am though covered by the 12 month warranty for when I bought the car (2014) model. As you should be if you've only had the car three months.

Hi guys,

So I've been experiencing the ""˜juddering' problems a lot of you have mentioned on my 1.6 automatic BMax (64 plate). The car is 3 and a half years old and has done 19,000 miles.

Last week I was having real problems, car was making grinding noises and the gears were completely sticking (ie, car wasn't moving!) when I was trying to move off and the ""˜transmission malfunction' warning light came on.

Took it to a Ford main dealer today and they have told me I need a new gearbox and quoted me £3,500 to do the honours. I have had the car 3 months!!

They say my car is out of warranty by 6 months. I've read in posts here that there is an extended 5 year warranty on the automatic gearbox, does anyone have any info on this?

Has anyone here successfully had their gearbox changed under warranty?

Help!

Many thanks

Swood

·
Registered
1 Posts
Powershift auto

My wife's car a 2014 powershift with only 7300 miles (basically a mobile shopping basket) developed a slight judder within 2 years. The dealer upgraded the software which improved it a bit. On the third service they fiddled and adjusted again. I had been erroneously told (and read) that the powershift had a 5 year warranty so relied upon this and was not over concerned. But this is not correct only the electronics are covered the clutch pack is not. On the 4th service (June) the dealer diagnosed the need for a new clutch pack at a cost of circa £1200. I was not best pleased and the dealer wrote to Ford who agreed to pay 95%. Ford has prevaricated and basically conned customers with this inadequate powershift box which causes problems across the range. I note that they have now dropped powershift this gearbox is an international problem and disgrace if you suffer from it kick up a fuss with your dealer and Ford.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for the info Keith..I wonder if sometimes it is best to cut your losses, and get rid of the car,
or at least take out an extended warranty, something I have never felt the need to do on any other
car I have owned... Although knowing how these warranty companies like to look after themselves,
they would probably check with the dealer to see if the car has any issues before giving a warranty.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My wife's car a 2014 powershift with only 7300 miles (basically a mobile shopping basket) developed a slight judder within 2 years. The dealer upgraded the software which improved it a bit. On the third service they fiddled and adjusted again. I had been erroneously told (and read) that the powershift had a 5 year warranty so relied upon this and was not over concerned. But this is not correct only the electronics are covered the clutch pack is not. On the 4th service (June) the dealer diagnosed the need for a new clutch pack at a cost of circa £1200. I was not best pleased and the dealer wrote to Ford who agreed to pay 95%. Ford has prevaricated and basically conned customers with this inadequate powershift box which causes problems across the range. I note that they have now dropped powershift this gearbox is an international problem and disgrace if you suffer from it kick up a fuss with your dealer and Ford.

Hi

It appears that Ford have dumped the Powershift in favour of a conventional fluid gearbox for the new car ranges! I believe that says everything that is needed on the subject of a dubious design.

Geri

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a Bmax in Spain it is four years old this September, and have had the juddering for three years at lest, Ford refuses to do anything with it, they sent the car to Alicante Ford main agent, they kept the car for six weeks and did nothing, they say I have a five year guarantee but who knows. They also said I am an holiday driver and probably driving incorrect ?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would also add that contacting Ford's customer relations regarding this warranty, is a total wast of time. All they will do is refer to back to the dealer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Right, the latest on my 2014 BMax Powershift, which still just comes within the 12 months of when I bought it.

I took it in this morning to be looked at, and they will start off by doing the usual software upgrade etc. The chap told me, that as
I registered the issue within the (used car) warranty, the work they are doing today will be guaranteed for another 12 months
(I think it was 12 months, shall have to check), so if the upgrade doesn't work, I will be covered for a replacement clutch pack.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have to give my dealer credit. As I said previously, I took the car in this morning.
They phoned to say that they did the software update, and took it for a test drive, apparently it made no difference.
So they have ordered a new clutch pack. I will hopefully get it back by the weekend. Their main concern was that they
had no courtesy cars available, but that wan't an issue as I have another car to use. Also one of the advantages of
living 200yds away from my dealer. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
so I have a b max powershift 2013, brought it in October 2017 to return it within 3 days with the clutch judder...new clutch pack was fitted the end of October 2017 but when I had car back I noticed a grinding noise whilst driving...took it back middle November to be told it could be the gear box and would have to go back to ford, however when I collected the car the dealer said they couldn't find any issues and that the grinding was most likely from the brakes being lipped and to return it if it got worse (the car was never taken to ford to investigate the grinding). I've had the cars brakes checked three time in 10 months and my brakes are fine but the grinding is so bad the whole car vibrates if I drive for more than a hour at a time. and slowly but surly the judder is returning... it started slipping gears, hesitating and has no kick down. the car also has service warning updates outstanding. im just out of my 5 year warranty,but the clutch pack has only lasted 5000mile and 10 months, can I get ford to replace clutch pack again or will I have to go back to dealer I purchased from as fault was present at time of purchase and its very clear that the clutch pack doesn't fix the problem long term.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you bought the car in October 2017, it should still be covered by a 12 month used car warranty.
As far as I am aware, any repairs done, should also have a 12 month guarantee
Also any problems notified to Ford within the initial warranty period which re occur, should be fixed by them.

Did you buy it from a Ford dealer ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I brought from Evan Halshaw, but car was taken by them to ford for repair, I didn't think ford offered 12 month warranty on the replacement clutches but Evan Halshaw didn't provide me with the invoice for work and believe me I asked, I brought an extended warranty from E.H. but clutch and gear box isn't covered. I'm going to take it back to them and get finance company involved again. I need the car for my holiday next week just hope the car lasts there and back before I take it for repair as they seem to keep car forever.im just waiting for the... we cant fine anything wrong... its all in your head or your not driving it right.
today it got stuck at 3000rpm while I was trying to slow down, just wasn't responding and kept reving

1 - 20 of 29 Posts