Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this 2014 model from new with the Automatic gearbox. It has only done 6000 miles and the clutch has started juddering on up changes once the car is warmed up.Apparently the gearbox is NOT a conventional automatic box but is effectively a manual gearbox with a computer controlled clutch set. I read that the problem is generally that the seals leak oil onto the clutch plates causing the judder. Fords know all about this. A pity because otherwise the car is very good.
If I had known of this problem I would never have bought this model and will never buy a Ford car again..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Lots of help and advice on the forum regarding this subject Nig. Warranty on the auto gearbox has been extended to 5 years by Ford.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There have been multiple reports of similar problems and in my experience Ford have been pretty good at coughing up replacement clutches.
I am now on a replacement and having started perfectly for a few weeks the new clutch judders now and then.

What interests me is identifying the cause and finding how to avoid a recurrence of the problem.
There are various reports of oil seal issues but I am suspicious that the cause might be more fundamental.

I am coming to the belief that clutch drag is the cause of the problem. If you try and understand how a mechanical clutch could ever not slip at a standstill whilst preventing the vehicle from running backwards. I think you are fairly close to identifying the cause.

I am trying to put the car in neutral if I anticipate al long period at a standstill. It seems to me there is a heat build up at standstill that causes juddering as you set off afterwards.

Others might like to find whether their experience matches mine.

Edward

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may be right. But there is little traffic (lucky) where I live so I spend little time holding the car on the foot brake while in 'D' aside from pausing briefly at junctions. If I take the car out and drive without stopping and few gears changes once hot the judder is present. I also treat my vehicles with care.I have owned automatic cars for 20 years and never had any problems. And anyway I expect to be able to hold the car on the foot brake in traffic with 'D' engaged if necessary.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The facts are this mechanical automatic is completely different to all those fluid coupled automatics we drove in the past.
I have spent a lot of money on a vehicle that incorporates a flaw . I can't afford to junk the car.
I can't be bothered in trying to enforce some imperfect consumer law on Ford the manufacturer.
What I am looking for is a 'work around' that will allow me to continue to use a generally good car which contains a mechanical weakness.

I'd really appreciate some practical advice from Ford who must have the answer to this quandary. What they need to do is stop being in any degree defensive.

I believe that Volkswagen have had exactly the same fault with their DSG gearboxes. And since none of these 'manufacturers' make these components and rely on buying them in from other suppliers Ford can afford to their advantage to steer their customers towards a solution.

Edward

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sue Slaughter, CEO.
Address:
Hermann-Hagenmeyer-Strasse 1
Untergruppenbach, 74199
Germany
Phone: 49-7131-644-40
Fax: 49-7131-644-4204
Web url: www.getrag.com.
Edward.
This info may help your quest for information. The auto gearbox is manufactured by Getrag in a JV with Ford. You probably know this already. However, you might not know who the CEO is...

·
Registered
23 Posts
How wonderful.

Although there is an opportunity to let off steam... I would much rather use this link to find some informed technical advice as to whether this approach will resolve the issue or do more damage.
On a hydraulic clutch I always suspect putting it in and out of gear causes wear. You can hear the servo operating. Which isn't the case in the B max. Sone of the technical issues in this gearbox are very impressive. Its oftern shockingly smooth in achieving its changes.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Going to try this in my gearbox incase oil seal is leaking .<h2 ="x_product-name" align="left" style="font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-weight: normal; line-height: 20px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-size: 16px; margin: 0px 0px 10px;">ATP AT-205 Oil Leak Sealer</h2>

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oooh. Errr.
Probably treating the effect rather than the cause.

I should have thought Getrag were perfectly capable of fitting oil seals so I don't accept that oil seal failure is the origin of our problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bought used 2016 Bmax, judder is there.

I bought a 2016 b-max mid October and it judders in traffic and low gear when hot, It wasn't a Ford dealer I bought it from but Hammonds nearly new cars so is the warranty still in force, I see below that it was extended tn 5 years. It was a motobilty car with previous owner, I am also disabled. hubby with serious illness so wanted a reliable car, ha ha.
Went to Ford dealer who did software update and said the car has to learn how I drive, over 1000-2000 miles, This has to be Rubbish, who would buy a new car and wait 1000 plus miles for it to " settle"
any advise?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exactly the same problem and doing some googling am alarmed that this is a known problem with the auto BMax, ours is a 64 plate with 14k miles. We bought it in July from Ford and after a long trip in November, where the car was practically undrivable, put it into the ford dealer. They did a software update and told us we had to drive 200 miles, so as the car could learn our driving style. As we live on the Isle of Wight this would take quite a while! The car was bought on Personal Contract Purchase through Ford and we only have a 1 year warranty. The dealer says this is the process that Ford need to go through, but what if we want to reject the car? What is the process and how long does it take? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
311 Posts
As others have said it's a common problem with the BMax. The clutch in mine was changed for the second time earlier this year (once before I owned it).
Touch wood it's been fine since, and has an additional 12month warranty on the repair. They did try the standard computer upgrade first, but that didn't work.
In the UK, the quoted 5yr extended warranty on the clutch, doesn't cover all cars. It didn't cover mine, why I don't know. Luckily the car was covered by the
12month used car warranty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts