Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you use it and how many dont?

Personally, i leave mine switched on most of the time, but turn it off when i am moving along in slow traffic that stops and starts every few seconds.

Very helpful to your mpg when stopped at traffic lights for a few munites, but sometimes when you only stop for a second at a road junction and pull away again, it can atop and instantly restart again which is annoying. Good anticipation helps though.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I cannot stand the stop start and always switch it off when I start the engine, I do forget sometimes, and then it gives me a shock when the engine stops.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I never use stop start either. It shortens the life of the starter motor not to mention the starter ring.It's not a proper stop start anyway. Heavy duty starter motor? Er no.The starter motor will only turn an engine to approx 200/300 rpm and then EMS has to enrichen the mixture to get it up to around 850/1000 rpm.
Development of a proper stop start systemhas been going on for a number of years.
If you turn a starter motor by hand, it produces voltage, bingo. One machine to both charge and start a vehicle.
The development of a single machine to perform the function of both alternator and starterthat sits directly at the end of the crankshaft and spins the engine up to idle rpm is sometimes called a starternator, there are other terms for it, is still ongoing.
It's expensive, and expensive if it needs replacing but completely silent in operation unlike the Heath Robinson we have today.
Until then, i'll not use stop start. It's just a con to get emissions reduced. But it doesn't do that either.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Intereating post Pegleg. The salesman said that the car had a heavy duty starter motor and battery for this reason. Misrepresentation then?

I wonder what the optimum stop to atart time might be? A few seconds will result in a higher fuel burn on restart than was saved in the stop cycle, though if you are stopped for a few minutes, the fuel saving could be quite marked.

I guess that someone somewhere must have calculated how long you need to be stopped to make a difference, though in practice, we never know how long those traffic lights will take to turn green (although I know which ones usually take the lo gest in the areas I frequent).

·
Registered
161 Posts
The battery certainly is 'heavy duty' so to speak. Cranking the engine takes a huge amount of current and without a decent batteryand alternator, the battery management system would prevent many stop/start cycles. There would also be testing for wear/tear ofstarter motorref the number of cranks.The salesman is correct about the battery and to some degree starter life due to testing. I doubt very much he'sa clue about a beefed up starter. Nevertheless, all this banging and clanging caused by repeated engagement/disengagement of the starter to Bendix can't do it much good.
You are quite correct about fuel burn rate; however, stop/start is more about emissions/RFL.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm the same as you Ian (Cianpars). Switch it off in slow moving traffic but use it when stopping at traffic lights (especially if they've just turned red.)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive done a bit more research on this and found that the optimum time to power down the engi e is around 10 to 15 seconds. Any less will use more fuel to restart than it saves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts