Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has just done about 7000 miles and has just had its first service. It is a 1 litre 125 PSI B-MAX. Over this period it has averaged 40 miles per gallon. Although I like the car very much, I am very disappointed by the miles per gallon figures. I reported this problem to my Ford dealer who has checked the car and said everything is set exactly as it should be.
Nearly 50 years ago I had an Austin A40 and my father had a Morris 1000 we could achieve these figures with both these cars so many years ago. These were just classed as cars and not named eco or some similar name.
My last car was a Volvo S40 1.6litre, granted it was a diesel car but it had almost identical government figures to the B Max. Driven in the same way as the B Max it achieved between 53 and 55 miles per gallon over the same roads. It had a £120 road tax and not £30 like the B Max. I therefore thought that 50 miles per gallon should be relatively easy to achieve. My car before that was a Renault Clio diesel (same road tax) and did nearly 65 mpg. Also a friend of mine has a Honda Jazz 1.4 automatic £125 road tax. We drove together almost in convoy most of the way from Cumbria to Kent I did 46 mpg and he did 56 mpg.
This does lead me to believe that somewhere along the line Ford have found some way of fiddling the mpg figures, maybe not in the same way as VW did as that was largely to do with pollution from the diesel.
I do get told the B Max is a heavy car with its extra strong doors but that should show in the government figures. The Fiesta with the same engine does appear to do better. However to put an Eco badge on this B Max does seem somewhat ridiculous. I would welcome the opinion of others on my post. I will probably send a copy of to Ford but I know that will achieve nothing.
The only problem I have noticed over the year is a judder in reverse when I have to slip the clutch and do a careful manoeuvre slightly uphill and round a sharp corner to get the car in my garage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ive had my Bmax 1ltr 100PS for 20 months be 2 years in August and im averaging 42-44 mpg it doesnt matter how i drive i can not get more than this i did get slight better MPG when i drove from Kent to Alton Towers last year where i got around 48 MPG doing 70 MPH.The figures quoted by Ford are very misleading i had a diesel fusion prior to the Bmax that did 56-60 mpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That really is my point that the Ford BMax figures seem to be more misleading than some other manufacturers like Honda and Volvo.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My car has done 42000 in 21 month's this is my MPG at present, checked fill to fill over 2000 miles it is 1MPG better than the computer.

Edited by: jackkook

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hello Dentdale

Lots about MPG figures here - search "MPG" on the top right to find previous posts. I'm sure we all agree it's about time manufacturers quoted "real world" fuel consumption figures. I think it will come, but who is going to be brave enough to be the first !

I have the same engine as you, my car now 14 months old, 10,000 and a bit miles I'm averaging about 43 to 45 mpg.
I've come to accept that is what it is - not good and not bad, with petrol prices down a good way on what they were, i'm generally happy. Put it this way, better to try not to fret about it and enjoy your motoring instead !

·
Registered
712 Posts
Forgot to add - when comparing the 1.0 Eco engine in the Fiesta and the B Max. As you say the B max is a heavier car ( 1279Kg compared to 1112Kg for the Fiesta.)
That's a fair difference in weight, so MPG figures are bound to be better for the Fiesta methinks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What engine are you talking about here? Certainly not a 1 litre Eco ( I assume diesel)
unless you have found a a constant downhill stretch.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My details are always at the bottom of my posts,
1.6tdci Manual, Titanium Moondust Silver,30/06/2014.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can't really tie emissions into MPG and therefore the amount you pay to tax you car doesn't really tell you what MPG you'll get. They can use things like stop / start to cut emissions right down but do little to the MPG figures.

According to the Honest John real MPG website the B-Max performs as one of the worst cars Ford has for getting close to it's official figures, it shows the following:

31.0""“46.0
Real MPG

69%
of official MPG

Here:http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/b-max-2011/10t-ecoboost-125

·
Registered
712 Posts
Just to update my MPG figures.
Returned today from a trip to North Wales (I live in S. East Wales). 380 miles total, 50 MPG average. I'm happy with that !

·
Registered
242 Posts
On the mpg theme. When i first purchased my bmax with 4k on the clock, I did a fill to fill check and I was achieving nearly 53 mpg, now it has 7k on the clock and a fill to fill mpg check shows I am getting over 60 to the gallon. My advice is drive economically most of the time but then every now and again, let loose with the go quicker button. Really ramp the revs up and get everything loose. It works for me with my 1.6 tdci.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a 2012 1.6 tdi Titanium and I dont think I have ever got less than 50 mpg even on high speed motorway trips. On average I get between 52 and 56 in mixed driving and if I am just tootling around on country roads its closer to 60 mpg ad while no speed demon I dont tend to hang around.

·
Registered
136 Posts
greekfarmer said:
You can't really tie emissions into MPG and therefore the amount you pay to tax you car doesn't really tell you what MPG you'll get. They can use things like stop / start to cut emissions right down but do little to the MPG figures.

According to the Honest John real MPG website the B-Max performs as one of the worst cars Ford has for getting close to it's official figures, it shows the following:

31.0""“46.0
Real MPG

69%
of official MPG

Here:http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/b-max-2011/10t-ecoboost-125

That's pretty much par for the course for most vehicles. The real culprit here is the government mandated testing regime which was introduced as a result of an EU directive in 2008. It is totally unrepresentative of real world driving. If you look at any manufacturers mpg figure on vehicles produce under the old test system they are much more realistic.

Examples

Citroen C4 2007 1.6 HDi Official 54.3 Actual Average 49
Citroen C4 2013 1.6 HDiOfficial 70.67 Actual Average 56.3

Ford C-Max 2003 1.6 TDCi Official 57.6 Actual 51.9

Ford C-Max 2010 1.6 TDCi Official 62.8 Actual 49.2

The post 2008 test regime is practically an invitation to manufacturers to cheat. It does NOT specify that vehicles should be in ordinary showroom condition or that testing should be done in real traffic so its quite legal in fact to do tests with higher than recommended tyre pressures and even to disconnect the alternator. Now I am not saying Ford have done any of these things but other manufacturers certainly have. Citroen Peugeot and Mitsubishi have all fessed up recently.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I get around 30mpg in my 1.0 100. It's better than it was!! I'm using very low octane fuel so hopefully will improve when back to Europe...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had my my 13 plate Titanium 125 ecoboost for three months now .mixed driving gives me 43.3 ,but i realy didnt expect much more ,it is what it is.Just enjoy the drive (notchy gear box aside).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been given a Ford FOCUS 2002 space saver wheel(125.80.15) for my 125 ecoboost titanium fitted with the 17"option wheels ,205.45.17. Please can someone tell me if its ok to use should the need arise

·
Registered
315 Posts
A Focus wheel will not fit a B-Max, Focus has five hole wheels, B-Max four.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts