Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever fixed a Windscreen washer push button?

Wondered if the contacts can be cleaned, but how does the end come off without breaking it?

Everything works on the stalk except the push at the end of the stalk. No wash and quick wiper - but does work occasionally, so it's not the pump or wiper motor. Tried all sorts of wiggles to no avail.
Want to get the end off to clean the contacts - just don't want to destroy it along the way

Engineering Tool Font Auto part Composite material

·
Super Moderator
366 Posts
I had a similar issue with my wiper stalk.
I bit the bullet and bought a new one, only cost £50 off eBay and was fitted in less than 30 minutes, job done !
I doubt you can get to the internals of the stalk without causing major damange that would render it caput.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a similar issue with my wiper stalk.
I bit the bullet and bought a new one, only cost £50 off eBay and was fitted in less than 30 minutes, job done !
I doubt you can get to the internals of the stalk without causing major damange that would render it caput.
I wondered if that end bit pops off. I'm presuming that the contact is where I've circled

Tool Font Peripheral Bicycle part Composite material

·
Super Moderator
366 Posts
I would imagine that the part you mention would not simply "pop off" otherwise it could all fall to bits as you were using it.
I would say, don't waste your time, buy another stalk online, they are cheap enough.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would imagine that the part you mention would not simply "pop off" otherwise it could all fall to bits as you were using it.
I would say, don't waste your time, buy another stalk online, they are cheap enough.
Most Ford electrical stuff is held together with clips. Came apart really easy. Contact cleaner and sorted

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

Pop the back cover off and the contact (the long copper strips) is there. The push button actually allows one contact to lift and open whilst the parallel one drops and closes

Auto part Bicycle part Tool Wire Skateboard truck

The button has raised bits that do the operation. The hooks either side keep the button on the stalk.

Finger Circuit component Cable Electronic component Thumb

Sprayed it with some contact cleaner, and it's working now

·
Registered
Ford B-Max Titanium 2013
2 Posts
Just joined to ask about something similar, and immediately saw this!

My issue:

• My front washer jets are not firing.
• I know it's not clogged hoses, because I swapped the front and back ones around to test, and when they're swapped, if I fire the rear jets on the stalk, fluid comes out of the front jets.
• Halfords told me it was the pump, so I bought a new pump. They were going to charge a fortune for this, but I got a genuine one on eBay for £20. Kwik-Fit fitted it for free whilst doing something else.
• However this still doesn't work.
• I've tested the fuses. All good there.
• With the hoses swapped back, when I fire the rear washer jets, I hear the motor activate, but when I fire the front hear nothing.

So, I am wondering if maybe I have the same problem as you.

Sounds like it, right?

Questions:

1. Do you think this can be done in-situ without removing the stalk? Or would all those internal parts fall on the floor?

2. If not, would you please explain how you removed it?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
Ford B-Max Titanium 2013
2 Posts
UPDATE!

Being impatient, I went ahead and gave it a go anyway. I followed your instructions above, along with this video to guide me how to get the stalk out:

A bit fiddly. The spring for the button popped out and it took me a while to get it back in. But I cleaned all the parts with an air duster, cotton buds, and isopropyl alcohol. Put it back together, and, voila! IT WORKS!

I've been putting up with this for about 7 months now!

So glad it's finally sorted... and saved me at least £75 going to the garage, probably more with parts.

Thanks for the tips!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts