Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone replaced the antenna with one who's no so long as that which the B-Max i delivered with.??<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I don't think that there is room for this antenna in my garage.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi Walther,

I have the AMAZON option fitted to my B-Max's roof, and have no problems with reception, or height of the aerial - approx. 25cm max length in aluminium, with 3 screw types for fixing, and 3 coloured caps for the top end. Unscrews fine if you need to use an automatic car wash.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion time: I am on the fence about replacing the aerial. I can understand why some of you have done it, and in some cases it has had to be done in order to get into the garage... which is fair enough... but for a car that sits out in the drive way (in my case).... is there a point to changing the antenna? is the reception any better?

(reminds me of a joke: 2 television aerials get married, The wedding
is nothing special but the reception was great)

....cough.. I digress,
can you pick up stations further away with the new antenna? or is it just a height thing?... excuse the following pun, but what is the gain?

(I'm sorry.... that was terrible...
)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi D-Z, Must be awfully painful sitting on a fence

I've found that the reception is no different to having the original aerial fitted to the car. By having a shorter version, its not so clumsy / floppy looking, and a bit different as its in aluminium-coated in black, and I don't have to worry about any height issues, like any multi storey car park restrictions

·
Registered
637 Posts
The funny thing here (for me anyway)...is that I have never turned the radio on in the car since owning it... so really was a moot point, but would have considered it if it extended the reception range... there are a few "Black Beard" radio stations I used to listen to...

·
Registered
213 Posts
We only have Radio 2 tuned in, as that gives us Traffic Info if we need it. As for Black Beard and his Pirates well....... 'Jolly Roger'

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can do this for free. Just cut the original one down. Hold the tip in boiling water for a minute, this softens the rubber tip. Pull it off with a pair of pliers. Cut stem to length required and refit tip, again warming first with boiling water. Done this on my fiesta and reception isn't affected. Easy 10 minute job.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I always thought that antenna's were made to a certain length to reflect the wavelength of the transmissions they were receiving. I believe it's OK for it to be a quarter or a half of the wavelength or whatever, so it is possible that cutting one might lead to a less than optimal reception, though you might not notice if your signals are strong.
The point is, I think that the engineers that design them set them at a particular length for good reason.

Not that I know what I'm talking about in great detail, but it is something I remember vaguely from my radio and technical training as a private pilot a few years back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts