Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever checked what the charging voltage output is from their alternator ? I've got the usual flat battery problem again not having used the car for a week. It's the original Ford 43Ah battery and this morning was 11,7V.... hence no start.
So I'm currently letting the engine idle over for a couple of hours to charge it, voltage while idling is now 14.1V (from the alternator?)... this voltage does not change if engine revs increase, so a blast down the motorway won't make any difference to charging.
I'm thinking of changing the battery for one supplying 60Ah, Kwifit seem to have them in, but no use doing that if the alternator output isn't right.... hence my question. Cheers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The alternator output is fine. To double check, and while checking the battery voltage with engine at idle, get someone to switch on a resistive load ie front and rear heated screens at the same time, you should see a fluctuation.
My advice is to go to an auto electrician to diagnose the problem rather than just hoping it's the battery; which it might not be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I switched everything on (all lights, heated seats, front and rear heated screens, air con to max) and while at idle the voltage at battery terminals dropped from 14.1V to 12V. Not sure if this is normal?

·
Registered
390 Posts
14.1 is fine,
12 at idle under load is fine
check with load at fast idle, or better on the road. (should climb back to about 14v)

all sounds fine to me.

you could change the battery, even though it should last longer than 5 years. but if it has not been used much for the last year, and with cold weather, it could be compromised.

note the charging system on the 1.6 is different from the 1L versions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts