Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i'm Not quite a B-Max owner yet but hopefully will be in the next week or so. I've been looking through your forum to help get a viewpoint of people who've lived with a B-Max rather than just taking a reviewers word for it.

We currently have a 3 door fiesta but now we have a wee boy it just doesn't cut it. I was really curious about the B-Max when I spotted one and it jumped straight to the top of the car wish list. However the only thing i'm concerned about is the size and the doors. Will it be big enough for a buggy and all the other things a baby comes with for trips away or would we be better off with a C-Max? And are the sliding door really handy or just a bit awkward on a day to day basis?

The model I have my eye on is a 2014, zetec with the 99bhp version of the 1 litre EcoBoost engine.

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts on this.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I too swapped a 3 door fiesta for a b max and really liked both cars. Very impressed with how well the 1000 cc ecoboost goes and have averaged over 45 mpg in my first 18 months with it.

Sliding doors are quite handy and I do like them, but they were never a deal breaker for me.

I have the Titanium X, but the best value in the range is undoubtedly the zetec. Decent equipment for the money.

The higher seats amd sliding doors are much easier to get in and out of, especially with a child seat in place.

Boot is a lot bigger than the fiesta, but you will probably want to remove the false floor with a lot of baby equipment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response that's really helpful. I didn't realise there was a false floor in the boot, that will make a big difference. Do you know if there's much difference between the 2 versions of the 1 litre engine? Ideally we'd get the higher 125bhp version but I haven't seen one for sale in the area.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The B max is plenty big enough for a one child family.
You'll find the sliding rear doors very useful in lots of different ways too. For example when in a car park you're able to open the door and access to your child is so much easier, (no "A" pillar helps too.) And no worrying about hitting the car next to you with an open door !

I've got the 125ps engine, but from what I've read the 99 ps engine is almost as good. Read the reviews.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Me too. I alao have the 122 bhp versiin and wonder how much better than the 99 bhp it is. Since I am never likely to drive the 99 version, I guess I will never know.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The B-Max offers plenty of space, can carry four adults in reasonable comfort, has a big enough boot for all my fishing gear and the lack of the b pillar in combination with the the sliding doors makes access, especially when in tight spaces, very easy.
Being way past the need for child seats, i can only assume that the B-Max would be a excellant choice for those with small children.
I have a 1 ltr, 99.b.h.p. zetec which i purchased new in January 2015 and although i have had a few well known problems early on, all were sorted under the warranty and i cannot think of any present vehicle which i would replace it with, so will be keeping it formany years yet. Lastly i find the power from my engine to be quite adequate, even when fully loaded and it's acceleration is superb.
Welcome to the forum and hope your purchase pans out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sliding doors are great, gives more access.
If you need to go for a petrol I would go for the 1.4 litre which is only available in zetec trim. The ecoboost engine may be modern and more efficient but there has been a huge problem with overheating on this engine due to a Degas coolant pipe. They have replaced it but I'd rather be safe.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
From what I read, the Degas pipe issue applied only to engines fitted to the fiesta and focus. The 1.0 turbo engine is a fantastic piece of engineering giving the power of a 1.6 when you need it with the fuel economy of a 1.2. I'm averaging over 45 mpg from mine, much the same as I got from my 1.25 fiesta. It foes like stink if you ever find youself needing to put your foot down, but for me, that's not too often.

The engine is also smooth and quiet as well.

To be fair, any engine will overheat if a radiator hose bursts.Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
453 Posts
the doors, (both front and rear ) on the bmax, are quite heavy, (they have the body structure built in), which makes them a bit of a pain if the car is not parked on a level surface. but when level, the access is great

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The OP was asking about other users experience with the car and specifically mentioned the doors.

To me, the doors felt heavy on a slope at first, but I soon got used to them. In fact, my driveway is pretty steep and I have no issues with the doors. In fact they are great for loading things (and kids) into the back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
cianpars said:
The OP was asking about other users experience with the car and specifically mentioned the doors.

To me, the doors felt heavy on a slope at first, but I soon got used to them. In fact, my driveway is pretty steep and I have no issues with the doors. In fact they are great for loading things (and kids) into the back.

Sorry this was meant for PL13ACU .
not quite worked how to reply to post.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Sorry michter, PL13 ACU is annoying the hell out of everyone. His profile describes him as an unemployed Irishman, which probably explains his behaviour.

To reply quoting post, just click on quote btw.Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
24 Posts
cianpars said:
Sorry michter, PL13 ACU is annoying the hell out of everyone. His profile describes him as an unemployed Irishman, which probably explains his behaviour.

To reply quoting post, just click on quote btw.

Yay it works ,thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the comments, they were mostly helpful
we took a B-Max for a test drive on Tuesday and I'm happy to say we picked the car up today. It was an instant thumbs up from us, especially from our one year old son who has already squashed banana into the back seat.

We've gone for a 14 plate, 1 litre ecomax, 99hp, zetec in black.

Thanks again to everyone who threw in their 2 cents worth, it was really good to get some honest opinions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts