Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the bad news - managed to side-swipe a parking bollard dropping my son off at school just 2 days after picking up our B-Max - put a nice dent in the wheel arch, but thankfully restricted to the one panel. At least I know how far round the parking sensors won't work. Will get round to a proper repair in due course, but currently have other priorities with a new baby in the house (the sliding doors make getting the baby seat in and out sooo much easier, and opening the whole side up when my wife gets in and out has made it easier for her too)

I also really like the engine response and noise, ease of driving and the SYNC system, all working pretty much flawlessly. Stereos have come along way in the last few years - good clarity, plenty of distortion-free volume and surprisingly good DAB reception even in deepest Cornwall. IMO it sounds better than the Audi Bose upgrade I had in an A3 just a few years ago. Had thought about getting a subwoofer installed before hearing it properly, but don't think I'll be needing that now.

Life-Shine applied last week and it's already staying cleaner as the white colour really picks up the dirt. A friend of mine runs a car detailing business and is an authorised Life Shine applicator and doesn't charge as much as the dealers do. Going to get the front 3M'ed as well - stone-chip phobic. Mats purchased from Ford Parts Online, saving a bit on dealer price and am also going to look to get the sill protectors - repeated entry/egress by a 5 year old will take its toll on the plastic, I fear.

Problems? Minor stuff. Rear window anti-crush sensitivity causes the window to keep lowering if operated whilst moving. Have do do the complicated button press procedure to reset it, but it never seems to remember. 'Driver Door' frequently fails to shut properly, requiring a second or third slam. Might be an adjustment issue, as described elsewhere on this forum. Kid Mirror seems to be better at letting them look at you, rather than the other way round. It's too close to your head to allow easy use during driving, where your eyes have to work quite hard to adjust to the focussing distance. I prefer to have my attention on the road ahead (parking bollards excepted..). USB Socket is very slow at charging my iphone 5 - believe this is a function of the phone (which is very power-hungry), not the car but makes me think it's only a 1 amp socket so would struggle to charge an iPad, for example.

Indicated fuel consumption (1.0 100ps ecoboost) fairly steady at 32.9 mpg over 600 miles of driving (living in Cornwall, it's fairly hilly). Lower than expected, perhaps, but the engine is still tight and should improve when my wife resumes full-time ownership. Not bothered with the Eco-mode thingy yet, although I do try and catch the up shift arrow more and more. Would like to see it nearer to 40mpg.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Glad you are pleased with the B. if you have the model with special repair kit get a spare wheel A.S.A.P
The kit is stupid daft and a proper menace,I was left in a real fix. Won't bore you with detail but think of a wet cold night miles from nowhere the flat tyre is in fact a damage to the wall and cannot be sorted with that !!!! Kit. A spare wheel would save anyone a load of worry. When help arrives there is nothing they can do other load car on recover vehicle and take you and family to a tyre depo. Think Sunday night cold wet and all the family with you no tyre supplier open and miles rfom home,Ford ought to be ashamed of themselves supplying a car without a spare. ARM987

·
Registered
103 Posts
sadly though it's not just ford..I had the misfortune of a puncture on current car (fiat qubo..b-max on order!) after being out in the rain nearly an hour to figure what to do with the stupid bloody thing I still couldnt do a damn thing with it

in the end RAC took us home & kwikfit came out the morning after to sort it..even the fitter agreed with me he said he'd lost count the number of people who'd been left in the lurch with this stupid gunk...car makers now seem to think this is the way to go WRONG!!!

one of the reasons i'm thankful with my dealer...he's sourced a bmax for us turned out to be a cancelled order has city pack and spare wheel for no extra charge so thankfully at least i'll have no tire worries for the length of motability's 3yr lease

Edited by: philnicandamy

·
Registered
106 Posts
See mine on19thJune. This can be a nightmare. A Ford dealer who allows the sale of a BMax without a spare tyre has little regard for his customer. I have been able to pick up a new space saver wheel and jack kit from a breaker yard for £50. When I priced the cost of replacement tin of sealant from Ford it was £60.
When I had my pumpture tyre supplier said not safe to repair tyre new one cost £60. So a new tyre and replacement sealant is the same cost. CRAZY and how!
Just do not drive a car unless you have a spare wheel. The driver of the recovery wagon who came to my rescue confirmed I was only one of many and the tyre supplier smiled and said "Good for trade!"
Whoever thought this one up is just plain evil?
arm987

·
Registered
43 Posts
I specced a 'proper' spare wheel when I ordered my car. It does give peace of mind, especially after my son hit a big pothole earlier this year and wrote off an alloy wheel and tyre on his Fiesta.
However, so far I am enjoying driving the bmax nearly up to 1000 miles, so will soon be able to use the performance and get a true picture of fuel consumption. I was averaging 36 locally in my Fusion and 45ish on a decent run.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi

Just wondering,as a mobility driver do you get a spare wheel with your car as standard?
If not make sure you do.

Arm987

·
Registered
637 Posts
no , I had to pay for the spare as a motability customer, but as stated in another forum post here, paying for the spare wheel, REMOVES the gel repair kit, that comes with the car. I do not know why they take it out as technically you've paid for it, with the additional spare wheel. I agree the gel is usless, but still should be retained by the customer.
Edited by: Davis_Zadian

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Davis_Zadian said:
no , I had to pay for the spare as a motability customer, but as stated in another forum post here, paying for the spare wheel, REMOVES the gel repair kit, that comes with the car. I do not know why they take it out as technically you've paid for it, with the additional spare wheel. I agree the gel is usless, but still should be retained by the customer.
I queried that and was told that the price of the spare is reduced by the cost of the repair kit. So if you want to keep it you will have to pay the full price of the spare.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
philnicandamy said:
thankfully dealer covered cost of mine...otherwise i'd have been looking at £90 plus vat for a spare wheel
Do you have a spare wheel and the gel now then?

I couldn't see why anyone would choose to keep it, maybe I miss something?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
philnicandamy said:
Unsure yet makem dont pick the car up till Tues but i'll bet the gunk is kept and passed on.
You say that but don't forget, if you opt for no spare wheel you get the gel AND the infill for the spare wheel bay. So they would need to keep all.

I feel sure the car is delivered with the spare wheel fitted, no gel or infill.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Makem,

You're quite right. There will be NO GEL etc if the car has been specced with having a spare wheel of some sort.

If however, this is not the case, then the car will come with the GEL and styro infill for the wheel bay.

This [GEL etc], I suspect, is the minimum requirement for complying with European Car Safety requirements, irrespective of the manufacturer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts