Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've joined this forum because I am looking to buy a 1.6 Petrol (Automatic) Powershift B Max. Its a 2016 plate one.

After reading on here quite a few people have had clutch and judder problems, I also read online that there was a class action lawsuit against Ford for this and other models like the Focus and Fiesta.

Wanted to ask:

1) Will this likely happen to most models at some point?
2) When was it fixed if ever? Are newer ones better?
3) Does the judder stop you driving it or is it more of a nuisance?
4) If it needs repairing, how costly is it if I purchase is privately and not from Ford?

Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
1) YES
2) Dec 2017 clutch pack fixes the problem.
3) More of a nuisance but feels very bad.
4) Not an option as it needs the new replacement clutch pack from Ford.

Check if it has the Dec 2017 onward clutch pack already fitted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1) YES
2) Dec 2017 clutch pack fixes the problem.
3) More of a nuisance but feels very bad.
4) Not an option as it needs the new replacement clutch pack from Ford.

Check if it has the Dec 2017 onward clutch pack already fitted.
Thanks, is there a way to verify this other than them giving me it in writing that it's been replaced? Do you have a link to any site that says it's the Dec 2017 clutch pack?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks, is there a way to verify this other than them giving me it in writing that it's been replaced? Do you have a link to any site that says it's the Dec 2017 clutch pack?
Try to trace back to the last Ford Dealer service. Contact them, they will have access to the vehicle record on the Ford system and can confirm/deny.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice, I rang one garage and he said its had all its recalls done on it but wouldnt confirm if the clutch pack update was done. He was then trying to use that to sell extended warranty which is even less reassuring. Was this ever a recall or just a fix? Did Ford recall every single one

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks for all the advice, I rang one garage and he said its had all its recalls done on it but wouldnt confirm if the clutch pack update was done. He was then trying to use that to sell extended warranty which is even less reassuring. Was this ever a recall or just a fix? Did Ford recall every single one
No recall. You just have to nag and nag the dealer, even go to more than one dealer. If they recalled, it would cost Ford a fortune, so they only respond to constant nagging.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No recall. You just have to nag and nag the dealer, even go to more than one dealer. If they recalled, it would cost Ford a fortune, so they only respond to constant nagging.
THanks, do you think if I put it as a condition of buying it that they update it, they would? Or would they only do it if it fails? I know its a bit of a hard to answer question, just wondering if any dealer has done it on request rather than failure?

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you are buying from a Ford dealer, then I would tell them that you only want it with the Dec 2017 clutchpack. They should be able to get Ford to pay.
If you are buying, either from a motor trader or privately, then they would probably have to pay for the repair so would try to fob you off.

As I said before, it can only be put right by a replacement clutch pack. It isn't a fault that can be repaired, it is a poorly designed clutch pack which will never work properly.

If you cannot get any commitment from the seller, back off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are buying from a Ford dealer, then I would tell them that you only want it with the Dec 2017 clutchpack. They should be able to get Ford to pay.
If you are buying, either from a motor trader or privately, then they would probably have to pay for the repair so would try to fob you off.

As I said before, it can only be put right by a replacement clutch pack. It isn't a fault that can be repaired, it is a poorly designed clutch pack which will never work properly.

If you cannot get any commitment from the seller, back off.
awesome, thanks for the tips

1 - 12 of 12 Posts