Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.
Just joined the forum as I am planning on buying a Bmax.We had a test drive in a 1.0 with stop/start last week after following the advice about avoiding the auto. It was impressive but was over our budget of £7500.This wont be our main car so I was wondering if it is worth considering the 1.4 engine or the lower power ecoboost as they appear to be a bit cheaper. Would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks
Skelly.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
All of the ecoboosts are better than the 1.4 in my opinion, not that the 1.4 is bad. Ive driven all of them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have heard about reliability issues with 1.0 ecoboost but not with 1.4 engine.

When the time comes I plan to opt for the 1.4 mainly because of my old school thinking. A 4 cyl engine will last a longer than a 3 cyl engine.

1.0 eco bmax will be cheap to tax, good on economy and a modern engine and will be in demand hence going for strong prices on used market. The 1.4 on the other hand will cost more to tax, less economical etc and might not have strong used prices. The savings made might easily pay for the extra costs.

Try the both engines and compare the used prices.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The fuel economy figures look good, but real woeld data doesnt match. I'm getting 45 mpg from my 1.0, but i think i woyld be getting pretty close to that in the 1.4 based on the type of driving i do (very little round town).

That said, the 123 bhp 1.0 is a great engine that has the power when you need it. Very responive and quiet. That woyld be my choice.

Main issue for direct injection engines is a tendency for carbonisation of the inlet valves on 50k miles plus engines.

The degas hose issue was resolved a long time ago.

Its zippy around town, great accelleration and so smooth and quiet at motorway speeds.

What is the price difference?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Forgot about carbon build up in the intake side. If you look at youtube there has been issues on usa engines. Do note they were higher capacity(cc) engines.
I do recall years ago Mitsubishi having issues with their direct injection engines at high mileage. Maybe the improvement of fuel quality, using premium fuel or additives now and then might reduce that.

Gosh it has been decades since I last decoked a head. Last car was cortina mk3 pinto engine. Come back all is forgiven

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Cianpars and Wazza.
Thank you both for your replies. I googled Bmax engine problems before posting and found most were related to the 1.0 engine. This vehicle is only intended for round town use. I doubt it will ever see a motorway as we have another car for those journeys. Our estimated usage will only be around 100 miles/month. I agree that the 1.4 engine is getting a bit long in the tooth but it has a good reliability record and can be bought for £600 -£1000 less than the equivalent 1.0 lire Zetec version. (I am also not a great fan of the stop/start system). However, I have taken your advice and booked a test drive in a 1.4 Zetec so that I can do a comparison with the 1.0 litre Bmax I drove last week.

Again, thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond to my question. I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks
Skelly.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
That was an interesting read along with all the associated comments. It will be interesting to see how high mileage ecoboost engines react over time.

Not sure whether fuel additives or the Italian tuneup will work if fuel is not passing through the inlet valves.

For me, i dont domuch driving round town and dont keep cars much beyond 20k milis, so i should be ok. That said, i am enjoying this car so much that i have put 5k miles on it in 5 months, so i may be keeping it for a lot more than 20k.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link Wazza. Very interesting. I now remember a conversation with a friend who owned a Mitsibushi Pinin (baby Shogun 4x4) which had GDi. It was going in for a decoke ehich I found extraordinary for a relatively modern car. He blamed it on the short journeys the vehicle was used for.
All in all I think we would be better off eith the 1.4 engine given our circumstances as the new technology found in the 1.0 will be wasted. Test drive booked for Monday.
Have a good weekend

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wazza said:
How 8did the test drive go?
Hi Wazza. The test drive went very well,so much so I bought the car!. After having a previous test drive in the 1.0 (not sure if it was the start/stop version), it was obvious that the 1.4 was a bit slower and felt less powerful. It reminded me of driving the 1.4 Titanium Fiesta we had in 2010 which I think had the same engine. Today I drove it 25 miles back home on a country A road travelling at the legal 50-60 mph. It was absolutely fine and revving at approx. 2250 rpm in 5th gear. Had to go through town (Lincoln ) and onward to our village. It coped well in town traffic. This car suits us perfectly with the high driving position and reversing sensors for parking. The actual car I bought was a 3 year old 1.4 Zetec,one owner with 25000 miles and full service history. We are very pleased with the purchase. Like yourself, I am also a bit old school and prefer 4 cylinders over 3. I can see the attraction of the Ecoboost engine in a different scenario to ours with better performance and economy but we are satisfied with the 1.4 for our local commute into town. We have another vehicle for longer journeys. I hope this helped PM me if you need more info. Skelly.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Why was the ecoboost designed with 3 pots rather than 4? Do 3 pots provide more economy or performance? Sure, the bore and stroke are different, but i dont understand this move to 3 pots. My wife has a 3 pot kia and i dont like the engine much. My Dad bought a 3 pot Seat and hated it. However the ecoboost is a great little engine.Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cianpars said:
Why was the ecoboost designed with 3 pots rather than 4? Do 3 pots provide more economy or performance? Sure, the bore and stroke are different, but i dont understand this move to 3 pots. My wife has a 3 pot kia and i dont like the engine much. My Dad bought a 3 pot Seat and hated it. However the ecoboost is a great little engine.
I am a retired Ford employee, although not an engineer. From what I heard and read while still working there, the Ecoboost had to satisfy at least 3 main criteria. Overall emissions,power output and packaging (fitting) into Ford future models, including sub B class vehicles such as the Ka. I am unable to comment why the Ecoboost is only 3 cylinders but I do know it was designed to fit on an A4 piece of paper which I doubt could be met with 4 cylinders. Happy to be corrected if there is a technical reason for 3 cylinders. Skelly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Agree with skelly. These small engines are designed mainly for emissions and economy. Turbo or supercharger (as in Nissan note 1.2 dig-s) provides the extra power. These engines are very high compression ratio and have direct fuel injection etc.
Great when buying new or low mileage but what will it be after 50k on the clock?

Not all manufacturer test the engines fully. They leave it to us to find faults. Look at the powershift gearbox.

any one remember the problem bmw had with their engines decades ago? They introduced a new material for the cylinder liner but the high sulphur (correct me if I am wrong) in the fuel corroded it away

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I think i can remember many years before that, the hillman imp was, i belive the first car to be fitted with an aluminium cylinder head and would regularly blow the gasket.

Cars are tested thorougly nowadays, but how an engine performs in a 100k bench test and how it performs in everyday life are quite different. Ive seen the coke build up on the bigger ecoboosts on youtube videos and it doesnt look great.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Yeah, do you remember the sporty version of the imp, the sunbeam stilletto?

Some of these old cars had soul and would last. I wonder how many b maxes will still be on the road in 2037.Edited by: cianpars

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.