will not start - Page 2 - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 28th April 2020, 11:42

Hi Geriatricus,

If it is the battery that needs replacing I have just ordered one from these people :-https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/exide/el652/
Maybe worth a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 28th April 2020, 18:57

I'd be very aware of replacing the battery which may well be perfectly serviceable.
Batteries can last from a few months to many years. I've known batteries to last longer than the car, 15 years or so. Although that's the exception.
If you're not using the car, the battery will slowly loose it's charge and a trickle charge may well fix it.
You could go to the trouble a buying a new battery which could fail in a few months; you just never know.
And end up getting rid of a perfectly good battery.

B-Max Titanium 1.0 125bhp manual City Pack.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th April 2020, 16:15

Hi Pegleg,

I agree that the whole battery thing is a lottery. In the old days when I was driving tarted-up wrecks, I used to get batteries from a local scrapyard who got them in for nothing as part of scrap cars and then flushed them and replaced the Sulphuric acid. They were then perfectly servicable for the use I was putting them to. Mind you, I also always parked at the top of a hill.

Geri

B-Max Zetec 1.4 Petrol
Mid 2015 build
Pretend Spare Wheel
City Pack
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2020, 19:26

I bought myself a battery charger, just to help keep it topped up due to using the car a lot less just now.
Cost 15 off e-bay & arrived this morning.Connected it up today about 11am and it has charged to max by 6pm.

In case anyone is interested -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercury-6...53.m2749.l2649

John

Titanium X Tectonic Silver 1.0 125ps Eco.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2020, 15:36

There is also a solar car battery charger available that you place on the dash and plug into the cigarette lighter socket. It constantly trickle charges the battery when the car is in daylight.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Solar...8AAOSwJ8hcdlV4

1 litre Zetec Turbo petrol 74Kw / 100 Ps
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2020, 19:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy View Post
There is also a solar car battery charger available that you place on the dash and plug into the cigarette lighter socket. It constantly trickle charges the battery when the car is in daylight.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Solar...8AAOSwJ8hcdlV4
these will not work on the bmax, since the 'cigarette lighter'/'aux power' socket is designed to turn off after about 10 mins. could work via the obd socket or direct to the battery
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2020, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hywel S Wales View Post
I bought myself a battery charger, just to help keep it topped up due to using the car a lot less just now.
Cost 15 off e-bay & arrived this morning.Connected it up today about 11am and it has charged to max by 6pm.

In case anyone is interested -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercury-6...53.m2749.l2649
these are fine, except if the battery is really low, when they treat it as a 6v motorbike battery, and don't charge above that. could use an old dumb charger or use a 'jump start' to get to 12v, then these clever chargers should behave again.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th May 2020, 10:43

The solar one will clip to the battery as it is supplied with crocodile clips too.

1 litre Zetec Turbo petrol 74Kw / 100 Ps
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 27th May 2020, 11:36

2016 2L automatic. Same problem, not driving enough now. Slightly different first occurrence. It started OK at home, but then failed to start to come back from the supermarket. I tried the key for only a couple of seconds each time. I cadged a jump-start, and perhaps held the key for longer, when it eventually started. I replaced the battery, the previous one did test to only 50% original capacity, so was about due anyway. Replacement is significantly beefier, 60Ah/620CCA. However, the failure to start on first key persists. Now I am holding the key longer, it waits many seconds, making some tentative noises, and eventually starts. I still have 6 months to run on the dealer's warranty, so have a little time to see whether this really needs attention before contacting the garage. I will try starting it up up more frequently (as suggested in this thread) to see whether that improves things. I have a digital scope, so I'll maybe attempt a start while monitoring battery voltage and current (voltage across the GND tail to the battery).

Is this a well-documented problem that will cure itself once we start driving daily again?

Is any damage being done and it has to be got to a garage ASAP?

What is the delay about? Is the EMU having to recalibrate sensors?

It it likely to start eventually each time, or will it refuse in some supermarket carpark and leave my food thawing while the roadside service arrives?
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 27th May 2020, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilThomas View Post
Is this a well-documented problem that will cure itself once we start driving daily again?
I found when I changed the battery (1L ecoboost) that it needed a run of about 20 mins to re-learn many things. the auto gearbox will take more time to re-learn. and windows will need to the taught how far they can open. also if it were cold you would have problems with the heated screen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page