Ford B-Max Forum banner

Adding 12v accessory socket

5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  terry 
#1 ·
Hi all.
Does anyone have any experience of adding an additional 12v accessory socket in the boot of a b-max ?
My last car had three sockets, one in the front of the centre console, one in the rear of the centre console and another in the boot.
I want to add another to power an electric cool box, at the moment the cable for this runs through the back seats into the cabin to the front socket which is untidy and keeps getting pulled when people catch it getting in and out of the car, not ideal !
Question is how diffficult, or easy, would this be especially as i want it to be a switched socket that is only live when the ignition is on. Would the new socket need it's own fused supply and if so are there any empty fused connections on the fuse pannel ?

The current socket is permanently live, which i'm sure you all know.
Is it a diy type of job or would it be better to get an expert auto electrician to do the work ?
I don't mind tackling most car related jobs but i'm a bit wary of the electrical side of things, although i have done wiring jobs in cars before but never a 12v socket.
Thoughts and tips, hints etc appreciated.
Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the thought Gremlin but there is no rear socket to extend from and i don't want to run a cable from the front socket as i do now.
Strange that you mention the socket turning off after 10 minutes as i'm pretty sure mine are permanently live and have never turned off, could someone have altered them in any way ?
My aim is to install a socket in the boot area that way all wires are out of sight and it looks better. As other b-max models have the socket fitted, i'm also wondering if the wiring is already present but hidden away behind the boot liners somewhere.

after all, i doubt Ford would make model specific wiring harnesses,i would assume they have a generic harness to fit all models with not all connections used depending of the model they are fitted to.Anyone know if this is the case and where the extra socket wiring may be hidden ?

#4 ·
UPDATE !!
I "found" an accessory point in the rear of the centre console, YAY !!
For some reason it was pushed inside the console and a blanking plug fitted tightly into the hole.
It's better now having the cable only run the the rear of the console but still not ideal,i really would like to have a socket in the boot.Still searching for any info regarding a "hidden" connector in the boot area everywhere on the tinterweb,as yet nothing.

#6 ·
No i have the zetec model.
The socket is there it was just pushed into the console for some reason that only the previous owner know about.
I am still trying to find if the wiring is tucked away behind one of the boot side liners but that bit of info seems very scarce,even ford themselves can't, or won't, tell me if the wiring is there.

Mine stays on,at last count, i was waiting in the car for my son at the train station for 30 mins ( train was late ) and my dash cam in the front stayed powered on the whole time,even the LED indicator on the cam plug in the front accessory socket remained lit.

#7 ·
Well !
Ford are either unwilling to say, or simply don't know, if the wiring for an acessory socket in the boot is there or not.
I asked then if it would be there given that the model range, with differing equipment levels, must surely share a common wiring loom for cost reasons to Ford, and on certain models it simply is not installed but tucked away somewhere. The reply i got was along the lines of "Sorry but we do not have that information".
I can find nothing on the tinterweb and, short of pulling apart the boot area of my car, it seems i will never find out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.