Brake fade problems - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 20th November 2020, 11:43 Thread Starter

Brake fade problems

Hi there, I am new to the site. I have had our BMax for 7 years and despite having water ingress into the boot which was caused by a displaced overflow pipe under the fuel filler it has been really good until now as it has been flexible for what we need a car for.

The car failed its MoT about 3 weeks ago on warped discs so I agreed with the MoT station to change the discs and pads. As you would expect this should have been an easy job. Before the MoT the brakes were excellent with feel and confidence. Since the changing the discs and pads, the pedal is soft when driving. When stationary the pedal is firm but as soon as the car is started the pedal is mush. The guys suggested it was the master cylinder but I have never had one go as immediate as that. It turns out after changing the master cylinder the problem still exists.

Has anyone else had this experience? I am told it could be a vacuum problem and they are checking it over. The car has been in the garage for 3 days and still I am no further forward.

I look forward to hearing from anyone out there that could help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 20th November 2020, 12:29

Do you find pumping the brakes while slowing down makes the pedal harder? If so, I wonder if they bled the system properly after they fitted the disks.

B Max Titanium X 1.0 125 bhp in Magnetic with built in SatNav and rear sensors.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 20th November 2020, 16:30 Thread Starter

Hi there, thanks very much for responding. Yes when I picked the car up the first time I had to pump the brakes occasionally to ensure I could stop. Since then they have done a full brake fluid change and bled the brakes and did it again after they fitted the master cylinder. They did say to me that there is still air bleeding out of the system and still it hasn't changed anything. They have also checked all the brake lines and seals and said all is fine. They think it could be something to do with the vacuum system but I don't know what that means. I am still can't see how such an easy job is causing so many issues. I still don't have the car back to check how it drives and if indeed it can be driven.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2020, 19:51

Any update with this?Im puzzled as to why just changing the discs and pads makes the pedal soft; sometimes very slightly spongy until bedded in.
When you start the engine with foot on the brake pedal, the pedal will go down due to the vacuum effect.

B-Max Nav Titanium 1.0 125bhp manual, privacy glass, reversing camera.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page