Ford B-Max Forum banner

coolant temperature gauge

7K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  cianpars 
#1 ·
Does anyone watch their engine coolant temperature gauge? When at operating temperature mine sits at four bars but recently something strange is happening and even when warmed up it sits between two and three. It can also jump around between two and four. This has never happened before. Previously it has always been rock steady at four bars. I have not changed my driving style nor conditions. The car still drives normally however other than a light rattle at times at low speeds like something is loose in the exhaust/manifold. It has done 45k miles and was serviced last January at my local Ford garage.

#3 ·
Hi,

As reported previously, my gauge acted up in a weird fashion when my battery charge was low (ultimately leading to a new battery as the capacity had dropped significantly). I don't know if it relates to your problems, but you might wish to consider it.

Geri

#10 ·
Just to come in on this. I used to do all my own repairs and servicing - nothing would faze me . New clutch. Overhead camshaft. Brake pads, shoes etc. I was forever cleaning and resetting gaps on spark plugs, contact points and rotor arms. Oil changes including doing for my children when they got their first cars. " Dad, what you doing this weekend ? "

But no more ... leaning into an engine bay for half an hour will leave me with back pain for a few days. Crawling underneath a car is finished for me now. Anything wrong these days and i'm taking it to someone else to do it , and i'll just have to cough up !! Happy days !!

#11 ·
Hywel

Likewise I used to do all those jobs but with modern cars now I'll leave it to somebody else. £15 for a new thermostat from ECP but then there is the anti freeze. The garage muttered something about two thermostats on the Bmax. ECP stated it was the upper thermostat that was £15. Can anyone enlighten me on that please?

#13 ·
Yes, there are two thermostats; the main thermostat and the other is located in the cylinder block.
The stat in the cylinder block is more difficult to gain access; auxiliary belt and alternator removal and it looks like air con compressor is in the way plus some wiring harness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.