Brake Lights - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th August 2020, 17:00 Thread Starter

Brake Lights

So a police car pulled up alongside me today and warned me that I had no brake lights. I checked and found both brake lights were not working but the high level brake light works fine.

It's pretty unlikely that both bulbs will fail simultaneously, so I suspect a blown fuse. I've checked the fuse listing in the manual which tells me to check fuse 2 (10 amp) in the glove compartment fuse box.

Fuse 2 controls the brake lights but no separate fuse is listed for the high level lamp, which I must therefore assume is on the same circuit, meaning the fuse should be OK.

I will check the fuse and both stop and tail bulbs as soon as I can, but how is it that the high level lamp is still operational and if the fuse and bulbs are OK, what next?

I replaced a failed stop lamp about 6 months ago and it has been fine since then.

B Max Titanium X 1.0 125 bhp in Magnetic with built in SatNav and rear sensors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th August 2020, 18:16 Thread Starter

Just checked fuse 2 and it is intact.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th August 2020, 19:21

the standard lamps are 21W, so nearly 2A each, but the high level one is LED, and requires negligible current.
as always with lamp oddities, check the earth.

also check the other lights, to see if any are miss-behaving.

ps, when you remove fuse2 does the high level light stop working?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th August 2020, 20:33 Thread Starter

Indicators, tail lights, fog lamp and reversing lamps all working normally thanks Gremlin. I shall check whether the high level lamp works without fuse 2 tomorrow if I can. Then I suppose I will have to remove the rear clusters and have a look at the bulbs, which I remember being a bit of a ballache from last time.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 20th August 2020, 16:46 Thread Starter

Fuse 2 removed and high level light does not function. Replaced fuse and high level light functions so it must be on the same circuit. I'm going to have to take the clusters out and see what's going on in and behind them with the wiring and check the bulb filaments, fitments and earthing. I hope both bulbs have not blown as I only have one spare.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 20th August 2020, 17:19

Hi,
The conditions under which both bulbs could fail simultaneously are when one filament causes an inrush current enough to melt the other bulb filament but not enough to melt the fuse, or, tungsten filaments don't like mechanical shock like driving over bumps etc. Cattle grids and railway crossings are examples.
I've lost one of my sockets inside the panel while removing the lamp cluster!

B-Max Titanium 1.0 125bhp manual City Pack.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 20th August 2020, 18:34 Thread Starter

Probably the case Pegleg. Just removed the offside cluster and the bulb had blown. That was the one I replaced about 6 months ago.

Having replaced it with my only spare, I now have a working offside and high level brake light but no nearside. I'm not going to remove the nearside cluster until I have a couple of spare bulbs, so a quick trip to
Halfords tomorrow to get a few spares.

The bolt that releases the cluster is tight as **** for my weak fingers, but managed to release when wrapped with a cloth to give me a bit of extra grip. I didn't like the idea of gripping with pliers or a mole grip die to limited space and fear of snapping the head off, though it does seem quite strong.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 20th August 2020, 18:59

I thought you could get a 10 mm socket on the end of the 'bolt' so could remove it without twisting it sideways too much.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 20th August 2020, 19:23

Would it be better to pay a bit more for the "longer life" bulbs ?

John

Titanium X Tectonic Silver 1.0 125ps Eco.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 20th August 2020, 20:13 Thread Starter

Thanks Gremlin, I will try a 10 mm socket on the nearside cluster. I guess that will save my fingers and thumbs some work. Hywel, I had no idea you could get longlife S&T bulbs . I don't recall ever seeing them.

On a side note, with all the rain we've had in the last few days, I wondered if removing the cluster might reveal some moisture. But no, everything in and around was clean, dry and very shiny.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page