Ecoboost 123bhp engine remap - Ford B-Max Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cianpars

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 17th May 2020, 23:08 Thread Starter
Groupie

Ecoboost 123bhp engine remap

Has anyone on this forum had their ecoboost petrol engine ecu remapped? I am looking at a company that offer that service giving the 123bhp engine a 40bhp increase and 45lb/ft increase in torque.

2015 B Max Eco Boost Zetec 125 Tectonic Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th May 2020, 11:19

Not even considered this myself.
Remember that if you go ahead and re-map the cars ECU, you are obliged by law to inform your insurance company who will no doubt whack you with a big premium increase as the car will be classed as modified.
Should you choose not to let the insurance company know then you run the risk of them not paying you a penny in the event the car is damaged in any way, or written off..

1 litre Zetec Turbo petrol 74Kw / 100 Ps
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th May 2020, 11:45

I did look at remapping myself but came to the conclusion that the increased insurance cost and risk of causing damage to the engine were not worth it. I find 123 bhp enough really. A blown engine will probably cost more than the car is worth.

B Max Titanium X 1.0 125 bhp in Magnetic with built in SatNav and rear sensors.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th May 2020, 13:24 Thread Starter
Groupie

I believe that the ecoboost engine has the potential and will come to no harm, but I would be concerned with (a) increase in insurance and (b) possible increased fuel consumption. I have had a quote but am not carrying it out for the time being.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th May 2020, 20:10

Ecoboost 140 bhp was standard from Ford anyway.
Formula Ford is 170 bhp with a larger turbo and some engines have run at 200 bhp.
But the higher than standard 100 bhp road mapping ie 123bhp and 140 bhp is boost for only a few seconds to aid overtaking.
Is the 160 odd mapping for short period only? And with the same turbo?
I guess that if some engines are thrashing around race tracks with 200 bhp and a larger turbo, it might give you some confidence.
But I'm very sceptical about aftermarket mapping or turbo size increase. They have nowhere near the experience or investment of a VM.

B-Max Titanium 1.0 125bhp manual City Pack.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2020, 13:48

I haven't got the 1 litre engine, I have the 1.6 diesel and I have had it remapped by a reputable long established garage in Donny. Now, I can catagorically tell you, the premiums do NOT necessarily go up by that much, if at all. The fuel consumption is barely affected too. For normal road use in a "family" car like the BMax, you will use the top end power so rarely it honestly made sense for me to have it done. In fact I didn't get it done for top end power/speed, I did it to ride a more progressive torque curve when travelling to Spain n France. I would say, don't be put off and a lot of places will offer to put it back to standard with your money back if you don't like it. Oh and a real small note, you don't need to tell your insurance as they will never find out anyway, unless they find your receipt.

1.6 tdci, remapped to 120 bhp, Panther Black Titanium with rear view camera, nav pac and front sensors. Always willing to stop & help in any situation I can. Karma is a beautiful thing.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 25th May 2020, 23:19 Thread Starter
Groupie

Thanks. The quote was from what is considered to be a reputable Company with a dealer network in 29 countries worldwide. It is a software upgrade only meaning it is all within safe tolerances of the engine and drive-train and requires no hardware modifications. They give a 14 day satisfaction guarantee with reversion to original, and money back if it is not what you are after. Some customers report fuel economy savings but most say they maintain their existing fuel economy. It depends on your driving style however. As for insurance - yes, enough said!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 26th May 2020, 16:47

Omit to tell your insurance company and put a child in a wheelchair for life in an accident and your insurer will be facing a compensation bill of milliions. If they can find a way to avoid it, they will and will be willing to spend a lot of time and money examining your vehicle. Be sure that they will find out it has been remapped.
Wiggy likes this.

B Max Titanium X 1.0 125 bhp in Magnetic with built in SatNav and rear sensors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page