Flooding in boot, rear and driver foot wells - Page 3 - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th March 2020, 00:21

How incompetent of Ford to create this serious problem by poor design...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 5th March 2020, 10:18

Yes, but to be fair to Ford I don't think anyone has had this issue from new. 'Something' gives after a few years. There again the water gets in to the boot passing a bit of sticky black tape, suggesting someone had an idea this would happen one day.......
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 7th March 2020, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
Yes, but to be fair to Ford I don't think anyone has had this issue from new. 'Something' gives after a few years. There again the water gets in to the boot passing a bit of sticky black tape, suggesting someone had an idea this would happen one day.......
Hi Nobby, I think youíre right about Ford pre-empting water getting in.
I suspect that the bit of material in the corner cavity / void behind the Rear vents is there to absorb any water that finds itís way in.
The material is no good as sound deadening (too light and flimsy) and is more like absorbent wadding.
Then because of the natural (and designed) air flow through the rear vents , that bit of material will dry out ready for the next downpour. The black sticky tape was probably applied as a second barrier to water entering the car.
I was considering drilling a drain hole in each corner cavity when I had the vents out for sealing but seeing all the road dirt that gets washed up behind the bumper, I thought Iíd give it a miss (unless I get more problems in the future).

All the best to all you (Happy / Not so happy (Dry / Wet)) B max owners.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 12th March 2020, 16:46

So far...and we've had a few downpours..the car has stayed dry. The drain holes are working as puddles appear on the drive as she sets off....but how the water is enering the other side of those taped-over little holes is beyond me!

Drain holes have worked, along with replacing the little sticky tape squares with UV resistant silicon sealant ( Dow Corning 799 ) And I've got rolled up towels next to the silicon should it fail to seal...at least the wate risn't going anywhere then.

The thing is...water still gets to the 'outside' of that silicon, but I have actually sealed around every seam, bulb holder and window in the vicinity. How does it still get there?

I know it's a bodge but my wife was getting pretty upset by this...we've spent over £500 with an engineer trying to sort this leak out! So I went mad with the sealant.

Fingers croswsed it hold. Should you get desparate too...make sure the sealant has at least three feet of clear air around it whilst it cures...ar it won't! I had to re-do the nearside as the black trim was too near and it failed to cure before the next rainfall.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page