Wax-oiling the B max - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 20th December 2019, 21:30 Thread Starter

Wink Wax-oiling the B max

The B max was due up for new discs and pads plus rear brake check & dust, so while the car was up on stands I took the opportunity to give the under-side a wax oil service. The main impediment to this is the plastic over-sills, which just half cover the blind grommets in the sills, so the first job was to remove them. With no Haynes or Ford manual available I needed to analyse how this area was assembled in the factory. As it happens they come off quite easily.
For each sill:
Firstly remove the push rivet at the front end of the sill, inside the bottom of the front wheel arch - don't be fooled by the Pozidrive recess - simply prize out the centre and pull out the rivet body.
In the rear wheel arch unscrew the two Pozidrive screws & washers holding on the plastic end plate, squeeze together the plastic spring clip and withdraw the plate[IMG][/IMG].
Remove the six push rivets along the sill by prizing out the centres and withdrawing the rivet bodies.
The plastic over-sills will now just pull off. With both doors open start at the rear end and work forward[IMG][/IMG].
Take the opportunity to thoroughly clean the sills, including the accumulation of dirt under the end plates. DO NOT use a screw driver or anything that will damage the paint - I found a combination of finger nails and a 1 1/2" paint brush to be ideal.
Once cleaned, remove the blind grommet blanking plugs from the sills.
Areas & sections to inject wax oil:-
Sills, via the six tooling holes now exposed[IMG][/IMG].
Chassis box sections, whole length of car.
Front sub frame, NOTE - Areas to avoid: exhaust (fire risk), brake discs, rubber bushes.
Clean and set all push rivets & screws ready for re- insertion[IMG][/IMG].
Refitting the over-sills is reverse of removal procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 21st December 2019, 17:14

Thanks for a very detailed report. Very good.

Question is - do we really need to go to these lengths nowadays?
I can remember under-sealing cars years ago. Do modern cars really need this treatment? Good topic for debate !

John

Titanium X Tectonic Silver 1.0 125ps Eco.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 22nd December 2019, 21:50
Groupie

Interested to learn if there were signs of corrosion during your examination? I remember Waxoyling a Triumph sports car which I owned back in the 70's. Personally the thought of doing it again now never crosses my mind but yes, an excellent description, thank you.

2015 B Max Eco Boost Zetec 125 Tectonic Silver
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 25th February 2020, 20:08 Thread Starter

Thank you for the kind replies, it's interesting you should mention wax oiling the old Triumph. We've had our Spitfire 1500 for 30 years (40 years old in August) though it was undersealed from new it still gets a squirt of wax oil or oily gunk every few years. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement for the old Finigan's wax oil applicator - it was a squirter rather than a sprayer - the one with the long tube and what looked like a self tapping screw in the end?
On the question of whether we need to do it, due to long term illness I never got to wax oil our trusty old Ka - failed the MOT with a corroded sill, now probably in the garage in the sky. I did observe on the B max evidence of some waxy substance in the sills.
IMPORTANT AFTERTHOUGHT, NOTE & DISCLAIMER - with the absence of any workshop manual I was unable to ascertain if there is any sensitive equipment in the sills such as air bag cylinders so you would need to check this out for yourselves, Dave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page