B-Max 1.5TDCi MOT failure - Emmissions - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th June 2019, 16:15 Thread Starter

B-Max 1.5TDCi MOT failure - Emissions

Hi all,

Car went in for its MOT today and failed due to emissions. They have put a fuel treatment in and want me to drive it on the motorway and bring it back tomorrow. Fortunately it was being done near work (25 miles from home, most of it is on motorway).

Can anyone advise what the process is should it fail tomorrow on the retest ? It was being done at an arnold clark near my work, as part of a serve plan thats due to finish after the test. Normally id get it tested at my local garage near home, can I get it retested there ??

Any other tips to try and scrape through the retest would be great. The car only really does motorway miles so i'm surprised at the outcome.

Thanks !!

Last edited by Cottontop; 19th June 2019 at 16:25.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th June 2019, 16:40

I think re-tests have to be done at the same garage, else you have to pay for (and get) a new full test.
make it Arnold Clarks problem, you have a service plan, and that should mean its passes an mot.

modern cars shouldn't need to scrape though on emissions tests. get them to fix the root problem.

ps, my guess is an exhaust sensor.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th June 2019, 18:55 Thread Starter

I just don't trust them unfortunately. They tried to charge 80 quid for the fuel additive, and when I queried it they said it was too include a run on the motorway, given that I travel 20 miles each way to work on the motorway I could do that!
They've said that the additive sorts of 90% of fords with this issue otherwise they might suggest a change of air and fuel filter. That in itself is laughable as they don't change the air filter on the service plan I have (I do it myself).

I'd never thought about an exhaust sensor being faulty and may well take it to my local garage next week paying for a new mot for them to look at it. This mot is free under the service plan so I've not lost out and the not express on 9th July. The emission figure was 0.8 against a plate value of 0.54.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th June 2019, 20:48

been doing a little reading on diesel additives, and one suggestion is the old one of 'accelerate hard uphill,' and get fairly high revs, to blow the cobwebs/soot out
perhaps this is what they do on the 'motorway run'
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th June 2019, 21:16 Thread Starter

Drove back in 4th gear tonight, will do something similar tomorrow as well as getting them to retest it as soon as I get there... The car was stood for 5.5 hours before being tested today...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 20th June 2019, 00:04

I think its the hard acceleration under load that helps, rather than a constant 3,500 rev motorway journey
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 20th June 2019, 19:35 Thread Starter

Fortunately on retest the cast passed the emissions test.....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 20th June 2019, 21:47 Thread Starter

Car!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page