engine warming lights - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 25th March 2013, 10:34 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bmax1613
hi i have a ford b max 1.6 petrol powershift titanium in mars red i startedtheengine the other day and the enginemanagement warning light came on anddidn'tgo out went to ford and they told me that the ecu and wiring loom had gone has anyone else had this problem ford said that im not the first to have the problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 25th March 2013, 12:17

Someone mentioned an ECU failure in the MPG threadhttps://www.bmaxownersclub.co.uk/foru...c94_page4.html
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 26th March 2013, 22:52

Firstly I do not pretend to know anything about this, and this is only my take on how cars are, if I am wrong, then I am willing to learn from someone with better understanding.. ]

I have had further thought on BMAX1613's issues, and I am sure someone here may be able to confirm or advisefurther... but if the ECU has failed (Electrical Control Unit), then though a domino effect would the wiring loom, (which is like the blood vessels of the body , taking power to all the different parts of the body, only in this case the car) fail only as a matter of course. If there is no power to send though the wiring, then its not the wiring that is at fault...its the source.

Also, the wiring in the car would have been rated for the power levels being sent though them, and fused (in the car fuse box)in caseof surges, and to protect the wiring from over heating etc...

So would the fault only be at the ECU, or the fuse box at a push?? or could the wiring loom actually fail as advised by the dealer?

Edited by: Davis_Zadian

<center>
</center>
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 30th March 2013, 23:32

If they already know about this, then they have probably been told to change both items, It may not be that one caused the demise of the other. In older cars, most looms had the same type of voltages12volt and current flowing according to the consumption of what was switched on, and as you say correctly fused and selected for the purpose. Modern car looms are different animals, complex, and almost certainly carrying data as well as supplies, in which case some of the data lines may be not so robust, but it is still possible for a burnout to occur, the ECU itself would have quite a heavy current drain in it's own right, I recon, and it might be policy not to fuse this, for reliability reasons.

John.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page