Ford B-Max Forum banner

LED DRLs

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  JayCee 
#1 ·
Any help on these topics would be much appreciated please.1. What is required to replace a blown single LED bulb on a B-Max 1.0L Ecoboost (2014) please, or is it necessary to replace the whole LED fitting?2. Are the alignments of the front fog lights on the B-Max mentioned above adjustable please? My headlights were aligned four weeks ago but I am still being flashed by oncoming vehicles and so I can only assume that the front lights are the cause.

I drive long distances on unlit roads without pavements and and when doing so I use the front fog lights as they are very helpful in illuminating the nearside verges.
Many thanks.

#3 ·
Fog lamps are non adjustable.
Fog lamps, front or rear, are intended to be used in fog conditions only. If you are using front fog lamps where the are no fog conditions, this is probably why you are being flashed by oncoming motorists. Rule 226 of the Highway code states that both front and rear fog lamps should only be used wherevisibility is less than 100 meters.It is also illegal to use front fogs as per the above under the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989.
If you have an accident, yourfog lamps are on and visibility is normal,your insurance company could invalidate any claim.
You also run the risk of being pulled over by the police and the possibility of a fine and points on your licence, although a ticking off is more likely.

#5 ·
Many thansk for all your helpful replies, especially the reminder about illegal use of fog lights.What's the difference between illegal and unlawful?
One's a sick bird and the other is against the law. (This works better as a spoken joke!)

#6 ·
The use of fog lights when driving(especially when the roads are wet) are irritating to say the least and if Jaycee, you are doing it during weather like this, then I can assume this will be the cause of people flashing you. Taking away the legalities of it, it is irritating as the glare off the damp road makes the front fog lights blinding.
If people are flashing you when you are not using your front fogs, then I can only assume(if they don't know you) then it must be down to the headlight alignment. Just out of curiosty, have you turned down the headlights using the dial in the car? The dial in the middle of the headlight switch that pops out....

#7 ·
Hi and welcome,

There is one other possibility I've not seen mentioned, and that is the headlight adjustment. Usually chnged to account for heavy loads etc., if this was left in the highest position the it might be high enough to irritate oncoming vehicles. If you are unaware of its position, it is in the centre of the light switch; and comprises a popout button which you press to get out. It then rotates to set the vertical alignment and pops back in to be out of the way.

It may not be accepted practice, but on my old (no fog light B-Max) in extreme fog driving along country roads with no significant traffic, as I had to do to get to work, I have put on main beam and wound it down to the lowest vertical setting so it penetratered the fog but was directed just in front of the vehicle. It meant needing to be quick on the dip when a vehicle approached, but gave huge amounts of light to see by.

Geri

Edited by: Geriatricus

#8 ·
Many thanks to you all for the further replies and suggestions. I have used the headlight adjuster and having had the headlight alignment checked only a month or so ago I have come to the conclusion that it must be the fog lights that are irritating other drivers and I shall now stop using them except, of course, in fog. I was particularly interested in the comment about glare off wet road surfaces from the fog lights. Again, thank you all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.