Fix my Rear & Front Door rattles - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 5th February 2018, 12:58 Thread Starter

First time on the forum so excuse my rambling. Bought my 2013 B-Max Titanium 1.6 auto 20 months ago as it is ideal for a family member with mobility problems. Already had 2 replacement clutch packs under warranty but that's another story.

I have 2 very annoying rattles I want to fix. The first is the drivers side rear door that has overnight started rattling terribly. at the front top of the door is what I can only describe as a spike or tapered pin facing forward, at the back of this there is a hexagon nut with a rubber grommet that has split in two and presumably is causing the rattle. I took the car into the supplying dealership who told me they wanted 109 to diagnose the fault and stated it would probably need a new hinge. I'm sure a replacement grommet would do the trick, can anyone tell me where I can buy such a thing so I can at least try the simple and presumably economic repair.

The second rattle is the drivers door handle containing the electric window switches, it is loose and I want to know how to dismantle it to tighten up what I assume are loose screws under one or more covers. I don't want to break said covers by trying to get them off in the wrong manner.

Advice appreciated thank you.

Greyghost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 5th February 2018, 13:24

See this link for help with your front door rattle -
https://www.bmaxownersclub.co.uk/foru...928_page1.html

Good luck with it.

John

Titanium X Tectonic Silver 1.0 125ps Eco.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 5th February 2018, 14:01 Thread Starter

Thank you very much for that, I'll try it 'gingerly' I always have a fear of snapping the plastic clips off if I prise it in the wrong place. I will try it and advise the outcome, thank you again for pointing me in the right direction, 1 down 1 to go.....

Greyghost
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 5th February 2018, 15:26 Thread Starter

Drivers door rattle now solved thanks to advice given. Now I've had chance to look in more detail at the rear sliding door problem, the pin I referred to and the rubber grommet - it appears that is not a rubber grommet or washer at all but a hexagon nut that had the rubber material bonded to it. This has separated from the nut and made it look like it was a grommet/washer. I swapped it with the same undamaged nut from the passenger side and the rattle stopped. Presumably I just need to get a new nut from my local Ford parts department, any advice about adjustment of the thing will be appreciated as there is a lock nut behind it to presumably set the correct position. Thanks.

Greyghost
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 5th February 2018, 19:08

Glad you're getting it sorted.

John

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 5th February 2018, 20:17

Hi. I have got the same problem with the driver side front door. I cannot work out how to tighten it up, but the problem is at the back end of the door handle. I have temperately cured it by putting a piece of tissue paper in the gap !!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 7th February 2018, 14:25

Hi. have just fixed the same rattly door problem with mine !!
If you carefully pull off the shiny curved cover just under the switch unit, (it has press studs), you will find two hex head screws holding the next section in place.
With mine, one of these was loose, and a quick tighten fixed the rattle.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 7th February 2018, 19:14

Well done Neil. Shows the value of this forum.

John

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 7th February 2018, 19:36 Thread Starter

Very true, and thanks again for yesterday's advice. It's amazing how the car feels so much smoother having no annoying rattles! by definition It can't be smoother, only quieter.

Although I have been able to fix temporarily the other issue I raised over the rear door rattling, I swapped over the rubber covered hexagon nut from the nearside to the offside (the damaged nut I superglued the rubber back on) I visited my local Ford dealer (Evans Halshaw) to buy a new nut and look at their micro-fiche drawing (they couldn't find the product when I phoned them) I was informed that the nut cannot be supplied on it's own but only as part of a new RH door roller at a cost of 38.03 plus fitting. I told them that was somewhat expensive for a rubber coated nut but was advised I could leave the roller part in the box and simply unscrew and replace the nut! I find it very difficult to see the logic of paying 38 for a small nut, this part by it's use must be a consumable item, every time the door is closed the pin to which the nut is fitted goes into a locating hole and the rubberised covering ensures a good fit. Salvage yards here I come!!

Greyghost
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 7th February 2018, 20:04

which rail is this nut fitted to? top, middle or bottom?, and which end, front or back?
edit
and is it fitted to the body or the door?
a picture may help

Edited by: Gremlin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page