Smell of petrol in cabin once I've refueled - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 6th November 2017, 21:31 Thread Starter

Hello,

I've had my B-max for around 6 months now (2012). It's a 1.0 EcoBoost and not a bad car for the family.

However I've noticed that when I refuel the car the cabin smells of petrol, almost the point I have to open the windows to try and get the smell out. It seems to happen every time I fill up, after about 24 hours the smell has gone. Even the kids are saying it smells of petrol so I know it's not just me.

Any ideas of why this is happening or how it's evening happening? It's starting to concern me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 6th November 2017, 22:20

are you filling the tank to the very brim each time?also, if you fill a car that has driven for a bit, (so nice and warm) then fill it with cold petrol, it can cause issues as petrol expands with heat. - supermarkets recommend filling with petrol after shopping, just for this reason.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 7th November 2017, 14:05

Overfilling is the most likely cause.

If not, then a leaking seal, though unlikely except on an old car. These seals usually last for years.

B Max Titanium X 1.0 125 bhp in Magnetic with built in SatNav and rear sensors.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 7th November 2017, 20:37 Thread Starter

Hi both - thanks for your replies!

It happens if I fill it up only a little or when I fill it up to the top. It's more noticeable when I fill it up to the top but I still get the odour if I only put 20-30.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 7th November 2017, 20:46
Groupie

Since you bought it used might be worth having it checked to see if it has been in an accident and the repairs not done properly.
Had a fiat which needed some welding under the passenger side floor. After that I used to smell petrol inside the car. I lifted the carpet to find ìt soaking wet with petrol. Mounted on the floor, inside the car, was a plastic fuel pipe. Due to welding underneath that area it melted the pipe leaving a pin prick hole which allowed the fuel to leak.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 6th December 2019, 16:52

This seems to be a common problem. Your opening paragraph describes our situation perfectly. They also leak water into the boot, which had visibly tracked from the same side as the fuel filler. I removed the left hand (driver in uk) side liner and sealed all the seams with RTV silicone sealant, which solved neither fault. My guess at this point is that the abomination known as the capless fuel filler is not sealing properly and the eddy currents behind the car might be pulling it in through the tailgate seal or rear windows. I can't believe that Ford went into production with these faults unresolved - must have shown up in pre-production field / environmental testing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page