tow bar query - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 24th February 2013, 20:04 Thread Starter
Groupie

Hi everyone Just joined the forum. Got my Titanium last October and love it. Still finding out little things and gadgets even now!
Has anyone fitted a tow bar yet? The wiring seems straight forward enough but the instructions seem to relate to left hand drive cars only. In the instructions, a cable goes down the right hand side of the car to the fuse box, but the fuse box is on the left side on a right hand drive. This means that if the cable is sent down the left side it won't connect to the rear harness because the connector will be on the wrong side of the car. If anyone can help it would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 24th February 2013, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky b-max
Hi everyone Just joined the forum. Got my Titanium last October and love it. Still finding out little things and gadgets even now!
Has anyone fitted a tow bar yet? The wiring seems straight forward enough but the instructions seem to relate to left hand drive cars only. In the instructions, a cable goes down the right hand side of the car to the fuse box, but the fuse box is on the left side on a right hand drive. This means that if the cable is sent down the left side it won't connect to the rear harness because the connector will be on the wrong side of the car. If anyone can help it would be great!
I have been looking into fitting a tow-bar or at least a power outlet in the boot for a cool box.

Any
chance of posting your wiring diagram so I can see what is involved and
whether I need use a garage. Ford say the on-board computer will need
to be told there is a tow-bar or outlet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 24th February 2013, 20:34 Thread Starter
Groupie

Hi Makem, I'll send it ifit's in the book no problem. The instructions are at my workshop at the moment but I can collect it tomorrow and sort it tomorrow evening.[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 25th February 2013, 21:09 Thread Starter
Groupie

Hello Makem,Ok then. There is no schematic diagram in the instructions but, working it out I can see the solution.
You need the twin wire cable "C" from the towbar wiring kit. This runs fromfront to rear, inside the car and has a thick red and a thin, yellow/brown. It costs about 15.00.
At the top of the drivers kick paneland adjacent to the throttle pedal are a pair of wires in an orange connector;a thick, brown/yellow, and a thin, brown/blue. The cable, "C" connects to this an runs under the door framelower trims/carpet. Insert a 20 amp fuse in fuse position F20 and there you are. 12v in the rear!! I actually solved my own problem as well whilst investigating your query.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 25th February 2013, 21:24 Thread Starter
Groupie

Just to add Makem,There is nothing in the instructions to suggest that the ECU will need to be programmed for a tow bar
here are the words:-
Not fo DIY fitment
Check radio code
Avoid cable damage. Ensure contact with sharp edges is prevented
Install parts as shown in illustrations
Re-connect battery
Check operation of 13 pin socket
Re-fit panels etc

It does say that in the event of an indicator bulb blowing on the trailer the flash rate will increase.
So there is no audible or trailer lamp on the facia panel.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 25th February 2013, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky b-max
Hello Makem,Ok then. There is no schematic diagram in the instructions but, working it out I can see the solution.
You need the twin wire cable "C" from the towbar wiring kit. This runs fromfront to rear, inside the car and has a thick red and a thin, yellow/brown. It costs about 15.00.
At the top of the drivers kick paneland adjacent to the throttle pedal are a pair of wires in an orange connector;a thick, brown/yellow, and a thin, brown/blue. The cable, "C" connects to this an runs under the door framelower trims/carpet. Insert a 20 amp fuse in fuse position F20 and there you are. 12v in the rear!! I actually solved my own problem as well whilst investigating your query.
Many thanks for that information. It looks like it may be quite easy.

I assume F20 is in the fuse panel? Does the 15 wire include an outlet or do you need to buy a socket of some sort which fits somewhere in the boot area?

The tow-bar wiring sketch shows the 15 wire going to the tow-bar, by "cable 'C'" do you mean the wiring is in two parts?

Cheers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 26th February 2013, 12:23

Glad you got sorted out, great stuff, Micky!

mind the note about the radio code, if your;e going to disconnect the battery, though..

This looks like a great article for "Tips" Dan?

John.

My website:
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 26th February 2013, 13:45 Thread Starter
Groupie

Thanks for that John. The connector is on the right side regardless of Left or Right hand drive . The picture was a bit misleading.
Makem, the fuse is in the panel behind the grove box. Cable "C" has an identicalconnector on each end, sort of [l--] shape looking from the end. It ends at about the rear wheel box. This plugs into and powers cable "A", which has the 13 pin socket on it. Cable "B" connects to cable "A" and breaks into the cars original harness. It's just plugs and socket science!! So there are three cables in all. I suppose a short fly lead from cable "C" to your device will do it. When you see it you will recgnise that it is a very common connector and you may be able to source the parts from RS components or Maplins. It really doesn't look too difficult a job. Good luck
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 16:28 Thread Starter
Groupie

Fitted the towbar yesterday. Not the worst job in the world, but some concentration needed. Took about four and a half hours. It helps to have full workshop facilities, although I'm sure it can be done on the ground by someone younger than me!! Some pitfalls, not least of which is the bumper removal. It's such an awkward shape that, when you pull it off, it drops out of your hand and onto the floor. So, someassistance neededat this point.Anyway, done now and if I can give tips not shown in the instructions, (and there are a few)to anyone thinking of fitting one then feel free to ask.Cheers Micky
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 16:45

Well done micky.

What will you be towing?

Edited by: makem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page