tow bar query - Page 2 - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 16:56 Thread Starter

Hi Makem Just a small box van that I made to carry the band equipment that I play in. 400kg fully loaded. 200kg empty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 17:14

Nice [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

At one time I made a camping trailer from the rear running gear of a mini and fitted my own towbar [img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img]

The problem with small trailers is they are prone to theft when you park them up otherwise I would make a double cycle carrier trailer. Even having two folding bikes does not leave a lot of room in the car with luggage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 17:20 Thread Starter

You are so right Makem. I'vethought about the theft bit myselfand I'm trying to find/source a lock frame or device that clamps the draw bar to the ball. I've never seen one in caravan accessory shops.
How are you progressing with your rear socket project by the way?
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 17:41

You could make a lock quite easily by adding a plate with a hole between the bar and the ball. A cycle lock chain/cable could then lock the trailer to the plate. Something similar could be made up for removable towbars. Does your towbar fitment not have a loop to attach a braking cable?

My problem was leaving the trailer wherever you stayed when you went off exploring.

I needed the information only at this stage. I will get around to it when the weather warms up and it is comfortable to work outside. I don't now have a large enough garage to work in. I miss my pit, lathe and workshop [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 17:54

Perhaps a new forum thread called "HOW TO" could be of use, where driver personal guides (which are far better then any manual) could be placed. I mean at the root of the forum tree of this site. I know there was someone asking about how to set up their phone with SYNC in another thread.... could be useful to put them in one place ?!?!?[img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]

<center>

</center>
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 29th December 2014, 00:20

Hi,Please ceould you tell me which towbar you fitted and any help would be really kind!!! IE did you solder the wires to the loom, what are the coloursetc
Thanks John

John Osborne
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 30th December 2014, 02:07 Thread Starter

Hi John 24, I fitted the Ford one complete with wiring kit, they are not cheap. The wiring has pre-fitted plugs andfittings which connect to the cars original loom, so there is no soldering or joints to be made. There is an amount of panel removal inside the car. The towbar comes with full instructions and is not too difficult to fit.There isanother thread on these forums (Towbars postedby Potter, page 4 Main Message Centre)that may be of help, but basically DO NOT fit an ordinary seven core cabletype electrical system as you will damage your electrics beyond repair. The wiring must be suitable for usewith a canbus system, a system that sends digital datasignals down the wire. The towbar I fitted was genuine Ford as there was no alternative when I fitted mine, but, I believe pattern bars are nowavailable fromother suppliers, they come with properwiring kit usually and they have a 7 pin socket. I've had good dealings with Towsure for other vehicles, but if you need someone to fit it perhaps you should shop around as they only supply.If you have reverse sensors fitted get the bar with removable ball as this will set off the bleeper when fitted, i.e.it will onlyget in the waywhen you tow.I don't think sensors can be turned off nominally.

Good luck in your search and deploy!

Edited by: micky b-max
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 30th December 2014, 02:19 Thread Starter

IncidentlyJohn I have just changed my B-Max again and am about to fit the towbar for the third time! I have got the time down to two and half hours! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 30th December 2014, 02:23

Thanks for you very kind notes. I will go down to the ford dealer tomorrow and price up the bar. Think my new Bmax will be coming in march so getting organised before it arrives!! Thanks again, I will tell you how I get on.John

John Osborne
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 30th December 2014, 02:27

Have you had problems with your bmax? You read through the forum and start wondering if you have made a mistake!! I have a fiesta at present and a Fusion before, this was our car for 7 years and was excellent. I have found the fiesta to low and a little small, but an excellent car,Thanks
John

John Osborne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page