Washer Jets - Page 2 - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 7th April 2013, 19:23

[img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]CRAZY[img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 7th April 2013, 19:56
Groupie

D-Z What's crazy? Screen washer aim and jet performance is a service issue, not an MOT issue. Water just has to hit the screen in a reasonable quantity, nothing more. The whole test is about minimum standards.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 7th April 2013, 20:32

So micky b-maxAs a long standing MOT tester, You must know how much water is sufficient or you would not know wether to pass or fail, and if you do not know how much it is or it does not tell you in the MOTregulations then surely it will come down to if they are spraying the screen properly.

Is there a set amount and if so how much is it ?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 7th April 2013, 21:09

Will this help and maybe go towardssolving the issue [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

http://www.mot-test.net/mock-test/wipers-and-washers/

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 7th April 2013, 21:43
Groupie

specialk, This is not an official VOSA test manual. I suggest going to google enter vosa mot testing guide and find section 8 in the mot testers manual. It does not fail split wiper rubbers per se. Just if they do not clear the screen effectively. Check out washers! Word for word:- "The windscreen washers do not provide enough liquid to clear the windscreen in conjunction with the wiper(s)". Nothing about blocked jets or hitting the screen exactly in the right place.
In fact you would be surprised just how much some garages abuse the mot system to their own ends. The VOSA mot testers manual is a good read. You can save yourself 's in potentially crooked failures.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 7th April 2013, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky b-max
D-Z What's crazy?

Crappy Kwik Fit's policy's on what passes as "safe" [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 7th April 2013, 21:54
Groupie

specialk' If you pressed your washer button and the washer stopped after a nano second, then there will obviously not be enough water on the screen. Fail. If however you pressed your washer button and water came out in a quantity to give you a clean screen when the wipers operated then, Passed. There is no time scale, just press until the screen is clear.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 7th April 2013, 22:38
Groupie

anyway We don't have to worry about all that for a few years yet eh!!
LOL [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 8th April 2013, 09:40

Thanks for the info mickyb-max.
Is it not like you say though that if there is not a set amount then it is then a subjective decision by each MOT tester and like a referee in a football game some will make a different decision, and some will pass and some will fail.
There again the good ones out there will surely alter them. It is not a major job !
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 28th August 2013, 15:06

I have noticed that the jet on the drivers side now squirts at the extreme edge of the drivers side of the screen. On my car where the water hits is beyond the area wiped by the drivers wiper blade, Consequently the water just runs down the 2" wide strip that is not touched by the blade and is not used to wash the screen.

Of course as we have commented before, if we were in the EU this would not be a problem for the driver, just for the passenger. I found it difficult to wash the drivers side although the passengers side was washed quickly.

Traveling at speeds over 30mph the water hits the wiper blades when they are horozontal and you need to attempt to squirt whilst they are vertical to get some water on the screen Even then, the blades just push it downwards. What is needed is for the water to squirt ABOVE the blades when horizontal, that would allow the water to be moved across the whole area in both directions, up and down.

I think the whole screen wash set up is crap and far inferior to the many other car makes I have owned and driven here and around the world. Actually I have become very disappointed in this car. The idea is great but the implementation is poor. The engine is brilliant but the whole experience is spoiled by niggles which should have been ironed out a long time ago. I would think twice knowing what I know now before buying this car.

Edited by: makem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page