Engine malfunction. At my wit's end. - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11th April 2016, 13:53 Thread Starter

Our B-Max 1.0 Titanium is 3 months out of warranty, with 25,000 miles and it's like a time bomb. I have just had it towed away for the second time in less than a month to the dealer to sort out this problem. Basically it comes up with "Engine malfunction, service soon" and generally the engine and the exclamation dummy lights on the dash, but also sometimes the oil light and each time the car runs like it's on 2 cylinders.Last time Ford replaced the throttle position sensor or something to that effect, for 200. This time, who knows what? But my wife is 31 weeks pregnant and this was supposed to be the reliable mummy car. She now wants to get rid of the car, meanwhile my 18 year old BMW just keeps going and going. I have read about many others across the Ford range who have had similar issues, and it seems the only way to solve it is by trading the car in, or burning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11th April 2016, 17:31

If you have had the vehicle from new and it has been serviced by the main dealer I would definitely write a (polite) letter to Ford UK and ask them to intervene. I have done this with other makes and they have stumped up at least the cost of the parts.

If the car has not been Ford dealer serviced then they unfortunately have an out.

KeithW
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11th April 2016, 19:07 Thread Starter

I haven't had it from new, but it has a full Ford history. The other really frustrating part is that last time we took it in, it was over a week before they could even look at it (plug it in to their computer) and when they diagnosed it as a "throttle body" the parts weren't in stock. They are nearly impossible to get ahold of and it takes ages to even get a response from them.

Call me old fashioned but I guess I'm just used to companies with proper support and customer service.

I'm posting on here mainly to whinge, but also to find a solution before Ford has me replace an entire engine or something daft. It's a shame, we really liked the car but unfortunately it has let us down and we just can't rely on it. Must have been a late Friday afternoon built model or maybe it was struck by lightning We also have had spurious seatbelt and reverse sensor warnings.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 15th April 2016, 17:32

Your problems sound more like the dealer than Ford themselves. My car dealer has always managed to get me in quickly if I had a real problem, I have had none with this car but when I realized my MOT was about to expire they managed to get me in for an MOT and service at very short notice.

KeithW
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 15th April 2016, 23:23 Thread Starter

Ok they have now replaced a manifold pressure sensor at no cost.She has decided to give the car one last chance. We'll see how it goes.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 6th June 2017, 17:47

Any news? Did the new sensor work?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th June 2017, 09:42 Thread Starter

Hi,

Sorry for not following up. In the end, Ford replaced the wiring harness (free of charge) and we haven't had any problems since.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th June 2017, 16:37
Groupie

That's good news, glad they've done it free of charge too. I was going to suggest a decent independent garage might be the best option if you're out of warranty.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 1st July 2017, 20:38

Contiuing saga of Eco boost 1.0 - regularly serviced, great performance until 52k then engine malfunction light, starting only on 2nd or 3rd crank. Starting now a little better, but definitely less power (need to change down earlier compared with previous) tick over still irregular at lights etc.Ford dealer unable to diagnose but tried spark plug change (no effect) and further diagnosis (no suggestion). Next - Ca 700 test of valves with no guarantee of effectiveness. Declined. Have even tried running it on the (very expensive) 97 octane stuff. Ran quite smoothly, but no change to the problem. Apparently not the DEGAS hose ( according to Ford garage). Any thoughts?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 1st July 2017, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apicius
Contiuing saga of Eco boost 1.0 - regularly serviced, great performance until 52k then engine malfunction light, starting only on 2nd or 3rd crank. Starting now a little better, but definitely less power (need to change down earlier compared with previous) tick over still irregular at lights etc
I would guess for sluggish starting, the battery failing, also since its 'summer', that could explain the symptoms easing off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page