Engine malfunction. At my wit's end. - Page 2 - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2017, 11:30

Thank you - not battery (first thing checked).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2017, 18:11

Poor starting and lumpiness on a 50k plus ecoboost sounds like clogging up of the back of the inlet valves to me. Ford have no procedure to decoke these but it is possible to do.

The cause is due to the way that direct injection directs fuel directly into the engine rather than through the inlet manifold.

B Max Titanium X 1.0 125 bhp in Magnetic with built in SatNav and rear sensors.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2017, 18:56

Thanks for this - seems possible. Will investigate. Takes me back to the days of split windscreen Morris Minors! Decoke then via spray directly into carb. ....
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th January 2018, 11:20

If this is the "Engine Malfunction Service Now - OK" warning, comes with the orange spanner, then general opinion is that it's fuel. I had it; car goes into slower safe mode then stops after a while and won't restart. Opinion on the net varied between clogged fuel filter to a turbo valve. The RAC man's little laptop said "fuel pressure" (after 5 minutes) which was confirmed at the ford dealer (after 2 hours on their laptop which included flattening my battery!). The in-tank fuel pump had packed up and because it was 6 months out of warranty cost 390. Mine is the petrol turbo version and perceived wisdom appears to be that it is also more sensitive to fuel quality and dirt. It may be coincidence but I filled it a couple of days before with non BP Ultimate (i.e. ordinary unleaded) for the first time ever.

Hashbrown
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th January 2018, 11:29

Thank you for this. It isn't the spanner, but the engine block sign. Stuck. Investigation work 700+ with no guarantee of success. It's still running - just about starting then sounding like a lawnmower, and having to change down frequently.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th January 2018, 15:17

I have not heard that one Hashbrown the fuel grade thing i mean. I just top my 1.0 ecoboost up with any unleaded that's available at the time it needs filling. Are you saying a higher octane is recommended? Interesting!

Willow
Zetec Ecoboost 1.0 100ps Deep Impact Blue
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th January 2018, 17:03

If you use super unleaded Willow, you may get a litrle more powee and slightly higher MPG. It is also a cleaner fuel.

A few swear by it, but most of us think it is a waste of money.

Try it if you want, but I doubt you will notice any different except that your purse may feel a bit lighter.

B Max Titanium X 1.0 125 bhp in Magnetic with built in SatNav and rear sensors.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 19th July 2019, 13:12

some times when I start my b max up it starts but the accelorater does not work can anyone help me please
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th December 2019, 14:25

upton-m, I really sympathise, perhaps there is a sensor on the accelerator?
Without a proper workshop manual we're all stumped. I'm currently servicing the brakes but can't get any info on slackening off the rear drum auto adjusters - can't even get the ****ing drums off! I'm hoping to do an oil & filter change, air filter & plugs, but not optomistic.
I've been repairing my own cars since age 18 (now 68). These kind of repairs I would do without even thinking about, but with this thing it's a nightmare.
Between the water leaks, petrol smells and the complete absence of a workshop manual 'er indoors and I have decided to get rid of it before anything really goes wrong.
Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page