Ford B-Max Forum banner

Powershift MPG

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Geriatricus 
#1 ·
A little while back I asked what sort of MPG people were getting from their 1600cc Powershift.
The average seemed to be about 32mpg around town (Yes I know smaller engined Bmax's get a lot more)
Recently I reset the MPG trip while coming back along the A12. Over about 12 miles I got it up to 53mpg,
which just goes to show the different economy between town and dual carriageway driving.

#3 ·
Take the readings with a pinch of salt.
They are rarely accurate. Best thing to do is to fill the tank, zero the trip counter, note the mileage from that fill up to the next one. Then work out how many miles you have done for the amount of fuel used when you next fill up, it needs a bit of maths but is more accurate than what the car tells you.

#4 ·
That of course assumes that on both occasions, you filled the tank to exactly the same level, on level ground at the same air temperature.

I always thought the digital read out to be the most reliable. Isn't that similar to how F1 teams calculate their fuel requirements

For the record, my 123 din 1.0 has done 46.3 mpg over 33k miles since new according to the display, which I have never reset. Hope I'm not kidding myself, but that seems pretty good to me.

#5 ·
My 1 litre Zetec Turbo petrol 74Kw / 100 Ps reported 45.7 mpg around town !
No way it was doing that so i did the old fashioned method of working it out and got two readings over two months, first was 37 mpg, second was 39. So i went down the middle at 38 mpg. A good run out and i'm sure it will be above the reading it gave for town driving.

#8 ·
I usually do a couple of brim to brim tests when I first get a car to calibrate the readings, but like others get lazy and just enjoy it afterwards.
The recent lockdown afforded only the opportunity to go about 20 miles at a time on 50MPH roads - consumption reading went up to 42 mpg over two tanks of supermarket fuel. I have got to make sure the co-pilot doesn't see that or she will want me to drive that speed all the time!

Stay Safe

Geri

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.