Thinking of buying again - Page 2 - Ford B-Max Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2020, 20:22

Do ford change the name of the colours ?
My B-max is red and it's listed as race red.

1 litre Zetec Turbo petrol 74Kw / 100 Ps. as in my avatar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2020, 20:28 Thread Starter

Race Red is different to Ruby Red. Much darker. Ford don't change the name of colour/tints.
That would be a bit confusing.

B-Max Nav Titanium 1.0 125bhp manual, privacy glass, reversing camera.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 24th August 2020, 08:53

I'm looking at the new Honda Jazz. Clever hybrid powertrain.

John

Titanium X Tectonic Silver 1.0 125ps Eco.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 24th August 2020, 13:40

Still trying to justify the extra cost of an electric or hybrid car to myself but it seems to me that you need to keep the car a very long time or do 20k plus miles per year to cover that cost and electricity is not free either.

What I really fancy is a Model 3 Performance Edition, but 56k is just a bit out of my price range. KIA eNiro is interesting though, and the VW id3 also.

B Max Titanium X 1.0 125 bhp in Magnetic with built in SatNav and rear sensors.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 24th August 2020, 19:58

I started off looking at buying an EV, but it seems a bit silly dragging a vehicle with a heavy battery that can do 150 - 200 miles for local commutes most of the time. I would only make use of the full battery range once or twice a year on holiday trips. Expensive too !

So then i thought maybe a PHEV. Some models can do 25 miles or so on battery only, so ideal for local running around. Just recharge every other day or so. You then have the petrol engine for the longer holiday runs. No range anxiety. Still expensive to buy though.

So now i'm thinking a self charging hybrid might suit me better. They are a bit cheaper. Excellent fuel economy. Easy to drive - bit like an automatic.
(In fact the new Honda Jazz doesn't have a gearbox at all !) Latest safety features and connectivity.... Tempting !

John

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 24th August 2020, 22:19 Thread Starter

If you don't want a gearbox, there's a yellow Daf 33 rotting away in a field near here!
Honda Jazz is very interesting and I guarantee that Honda will get it right.
There is still a lot of potential within the petrol engine such as the use of ceramics, but governments keep sticking their uneducated oar in. It doesn't seem so long ago that they were telling the public to buy diesels. The Automotive industry knows best and without successive government meddling, the petrol engine would have come on leaps and bounds.
During lockdown, I started using my old bike as the roads were so quiet and thoroughly enjoyed it. But that isn't zero emissions as I need food in order to pedal!
Rule of physics again.

B-Max Nav Titanium 1.0 125bhp manual, privacy glass, reversing camera.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 24th August 2020, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy View Post
According to an article i read, by 2030 ALL new cars for sale will have to be fully electric.
No petrol, No diesel, No hybrid.
Wonder if it will happen ?
If electric had a vastly improved range, then i would seriously consider one, not for the environmental reasons but cos i'm a tight old git rofl.
But then the government probably has something up it's sleeve to be able to tax electric cars the same as they do for petrol and diesel, or am i just a cynic ?

I was watching Harry Metcalfe (of Harry's Garage on Youtube) He was driving from Oxfordshire into London in
an electric vehicle. He spent a considerably amount of time trying to find somewhere to charge it.
As far as charging at home, it's not just a case of plugging into a 13amp socket. You need a dedicated charging
unit wired into your house, and it's not able to be done in all houses.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 24th August 2020, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy View Post
According to an article i read, by 2030 ALL new cars for sale will have to be fully electric.
No petrol, No diesel, No hybrid.
Wonder if it will happen ?
If electric had a vastly improved range, then i would seriously consider one, not for the environmental reasons but cos i'm a tight old git rofl.
But then the government probably has something up it's sleeve to be able to tax electric cars the same as they do for petrol and diesel, or am i just a cynic ?

I was watching Harry Metcalfe (of Harry's Garage on Youtube) He was driving from Oxfordshire
into London in an electric vehicle. He spent a considerably amount of time trying to find somewhere
to charge it. As far as charging at home, it's not just a case of plugging into a 13amp socket. You need a
dedicated charging unit wired into your house, and it's not able to be done in all houses.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 25th August 2020, 09:48

Interesting to read this too -

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...el-models.html
Wiggy likes this.

John

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 25th August 2020, 16:58

My train of thought with hybrid cars is that there are now two "engines" that could go wrong as opposed to just the one in a "normal'" car.And the battery pack is horrendously expensive if it goes wrong.The battery pack in the Nissan Leaf is either bought outright or rented ( we have a few of these at work for the midwives etc to use ), all with rented packs.

As for dedicated charging units, many car manufacturers will gladly install a charger for the customer at no cost to them provided it doesn't contraveine any local byelaws and is not located on a public thoroughfare.True, many people do not have a driveway but E-cars can be charged from a three pin plug, it just takes longer, they will even charge from a small wind turbine on a stick ( very slowly ).
Range for a fully electric car has to get way better before i would even consider one and hybrid is out as far as i'm concerned as they still defeat the object of a greener environment. When it comes down to it though, is a fully electric car green ? The juice to charge it comes from a power station which burns either coal,gas,oil,wood chips or uses nuclear fuel all of which have environmental risks associated with them. Unless a car can be charged from a turbine in your garden or solar pannels on your roof then a truly green car will never exist.

1 litre Zetec Turbo petrol 74Kw / 100 Ps. as in my avatar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page