Hardwire Dashcam - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th July 2020, 17:19 Thread Starter

Question Hardwire Dashcam

Hi All,

So i bought a B-max not so long ago and someone already scrapped the bumper of my car which annoyed me to a point to get my very first Dashcam. Friend of mine advised me to go halfords but dashcams there are not cheap. So i did some digging and found a pretty good cam for a very decent price.

tinyurl
.com
/y22xkb85

Now after asking around different garages i found out that minimum charges would be between 130 to 200 because it will be 2 to 3 hours job due to the airbags on both sides of the car.
But that is crazy thinking the Dashcam was only about 30 quid.

So my question is has anyone ever hardwired a dash cam or is there any tutorial for it that i can follow and do it myself.

PS i called halford to fix it for me but they wont do it unless i buy the Dashcam from them which cost minimum of 298 for a front n rear cam.

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th July 2020, 17:55
Groupie

Do you really need to hardwire it? I have a nice little forward camera from Apeman(their customer service is brilliant). It cost me 25 and I just tidy the wire that hangs from the camera in to the plug socket.It doesn't interfere with vision nor cause any other nuisance. etc. I personally think that once you start interfering with headlining and dash trim, it is never the same as when it left the factory.

2015 B Max Eco Boost Zetec 125 Tectonic Silver
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th July 2020, 19:42

I have front and rear cams in my B-max.
I just routed the cable behind the head lining, very easy to do just pull it slightly away from the roof and tuck the cable in. Same for where the cable runs down the 'A' pillar, and plug into the cigarette lighter socket.The only cable to be seen is a couple of inches at the camera end and the plug in the ciggy socket.

I was told though that a hardwire can be done into the fuse pannel under the glove box, but i decided not to go that way and did as above.

1 litre Zetec Turbo petrol 74Kw / 100 Ps
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th July 2020, 23:27 Thread Starter

Make sense but then again what happens when you turn off the engine. Does the power to dashcam not cutoff?... Hardwire will not only hide the wires but it will connect it to the fusebox and it will turn on if your car gets hit whilst parked overnight. Means the power will be there when dashcam needs it compared to the cigarette lighter socket which only works when the car is running.

Or maybe i am just wrong......
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 21st July 2020, 10:59

I had a Halfords gift voucher, so I bought mine from them. They hardwired it for 30 but as the hardwire kit was 20, I took the view that it only cost 10.

They ran the wire under the headlining by just pushing it in then used a plastic trim remover to lift the A post trim and in behind the glove box, where the fusebox sits. The kit includes a wire attached to an empty fuse which they replaced a fuse in the fusebox with.

Mine is connected to an ignition activated fuse so it comes on when I start the car. You can connect it to an always live fuse if you want to use it as a surveillance camera. Doing this might drain battery and I'm not sure whether it would work due to to the beam axis electronics shutting down after around 10 or 15 minutes not being used.

As it's comes on when I start the car and goes off when I stop the car, I leave it attached and have virtually forgotten about it.

the suckers that come with them aren't usually very good (fall off when they get too hot) and there are better attached.with a proper sticky pad.

In the 3 years I've had it I have recorded some interesting videos including examples of bad driving and a couple of accidents that occurred in front of me, which I provided to the victims as evidence. there was also an occasion where someone was driving on the wrong side of the road and broke my mirror. in this case the driver claimed that I was driving on the road until I showed her the camera. she quickly changed her mind of course.

B Max Titanium X 1.0 125 bhp in Magnetic with built in SatNav and rear sensors.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 21st July 2020, 11:03

p.s. It's not a 2-3 hour job and the wiring goes nowhere near the airbag. It took less than 30 minutes and I chatted to the fitter whilst watching him fit it.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 21st July 2020, 16:48

Dash cams have an inbuilt rechargeable battery usually, which powers them on when in parking mode if movement is detected. No need to worry about no power to the cam when you're not using the car, plus they turn off again after 5 mins and go into parking mode again.

1 litre Zetec Turbo petrol 74Kw / 100 Ps
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 22nd July 2020, 02:20 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cianpars View Post
I had a Halfords gift voucher, so I bought mine from them. They hardwired it for 30 but as the hardwire kit was 20, I took the view that it only cost 10.

They ran the wire under the headlining by just pushing it in then used a plastic trim remover to lift the A post trim and in behind the glove box, where the fusebox sits. The kit includes a wire attached to an empty fuse which they replaced a fuse in the fusebox with.

Mine is connected to an ignition activated fuse so it comes on when I start the car. You can connect it to an always live fuse if you want to use it as a surveillance camera. Doing this might drain battery and I'm not sure whether it would work due to to the beam axis electronics shutting down after around 10 or 15 minutes not being used.

As it's comes on when I start the car and goes off when I stop the car, I leave it attached and have virtually forgotten about it.

the suckers that come with them aren't usually very good (fall off when they get too hot) and there are better attached.with a proper sticky pad.

In the 3 years I've had it I have recorded some interesting videos including examples of bad driving and a couple of accidents that occurred in front of me, which I provided to the victims as evidence. there was also an occasion where someone was driving on the wrong side of the road and broke my mirror. in this case the driver claimed that I was driving on the road until I showed her the camera. she quickly changed her mind of course.
Mate that is like the most usefull information i got from this site so far.... So thanks for that..
and if you dont mind me asking do you remember how did he fit the rear cam? Apparently it suppose to connect with either tail light or brake light to get the power it needs.
Like i said i didn't get the camera from halfords so they wont do it for me at all.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 23rd July 2020, 12:48

Sorry Moeed, I only have a front camera, but I'm glad that you found my post helpful.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 26th July 2020, 00:09 Thread Starter

I have done it guys... Finally managed to figure it out and have both front and back cam hardwired. Took me about 2 to 3 hours but its all nicely tucked in. Connected to fuse box and even got myself a working reversing camera now. so glad....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page