Dab+ ? - Ford B-Max Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th June 2020, 15:10 Thread Starter

Dab+ ?

Does anyone know if the radio in the Bmax is DAB+ compatible ?
The only station I listen to (Talk Radio) is going from DAB to DAB+ later in June. I shall be
well miffed if I can't receive it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th June 2020, 16:01

I listen to "Talk" too. This is news to me !

I found this -

If you have bought a new DAB radio in the last five years or so, it's highly likely that it can also receive DAB+ transmissions. Since 2013, any radio sold with the digital tick is also DAB+ compatible.

So it may depend on the age of your car. Mine is 2015 registered so I'm guessing it will be compatible. We'll see !

John

Titanium X Tectonic Silver 1.0 125ps Eco.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th June 2020, 21:15 Thread Starter

They have mentioned the switch to DAB+ a number of times today, saying how wonderful it is, and
how easy it is to retune. No good if your radio cant get it though. I have three radios indoors and I think only
one gets DAB+.
My Bmax is a 2014 so it's 50/50 as to whether it will receive "Talk Radio" after the 28th (I think). I have no
idea as to whether the difference is hardware or software related.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10th June 2020, 11:37

Found the following if it helps -
DAB+ is relatively new to the UK and some of the UK’s national digital and local radio stations use this new technology. Although there are benefits to DAB+ some older radios don’t understand the new standard and you may not be able to receive DAB+ stations.
Some digital radios can be upgraded to receive DAB+ stations, but unfortunately many cannot and you may have to buy a replacement radio to receive Jazz FM, Fun Kids and Magic Chilled across the UK.
DAB Digital Radio launched in the UK in the 1990’s and most digital radio stations in the UK currently use this version of the DAB standard.
DAB+ (sometimes called DAB plus) is a newer version of DAB and has been used in some European countries for some time. DAB+ is more efficient than DAB, allowing more stations to be broadcast and in higher quality if desired by the broadcaster.
A radio which can only receive DAB will not be able to receive DAB+ stations. However, DAB+ sets are ‘backwards-compatible’ and will receive both DAB and DAB+ stations. The first services to use DAB+ have launched recently, both nationally and on small ‘trial’ multiplexes.
Although millions of digital radios have been sold the distinction between DAB and DAB+ has only been made clear recently on packaging and websites by some manufacturers. Many shops and online retailers continue to sell radios which cannot receive DAB+ stations.
As some radios won’t be able to receive DAB+ stations it’s unlikely that many services would switch to the newer DAB+ soon.
When purchasing a new radio it’s worth ensuring it supports FM, DAB and DAB+. The easiest way to check is to look for the Digital Radio Tick Mark. This logo only appears on radios which are ready for DAB+.

1 litre Zetec Turbo petrol 74Kw / 100 Ps. as in my avatar.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10th June 2020, 19:50

From the B Max manual - We should be o.k.

DIGITAL RADIO

General Information
The system allows you to listen to DAB (Digital Audio Broadcast) radio stations.
Note: Coverage differs from region to region and influences the quality of reception. It is broadcast nationwide, regionally and locally. Coverage may vary on weather conditions and terrain.
The following formats are supported:
DAB.
DAB+.
DMB-Audio (Digital Multimedia Broadcasting).

John

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10th June 2020, 21:58 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies chaps. It looks as if I should be OK then (fingers crossed)
Although I shall need another radio indoors.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11th June 2020, 11:26

Sorted mine this morning. Talk + was there in the channel list.

John

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11th June 2020, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hywel S Wales View Post
From the B Max manual - We should be o.k.

DIGITAL RADIO

General Information
The system allows you to listen to DAB (Digital Audio Broadcast) radio stations.
Note: Coverage differs from region to region and influences the quality of reception. It is broadcast nationwide, regionally and locally. Coverage may vary on weather conditions and terrain.
The following formats are supported:
DAB.
DAB+.
DMB-Audio (Digital Multimedia Broadcasting).
I can't find that in my manual, what page is it? Or perhaps there is more than one manual depending on MY.
Diolch!

B-Max Titanium 1.0 125bhp manual City Pack.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11th June 2020, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg View Post
I can't find that in my manual, what page is it? Or perhaps there is more than one manual depending on MY.
Diolch!
there are many versions of the 'owners manual' so can't state page number, but I found the same reference in a 2012/13 manual pg219.
also note there are at least 2 versions of the radios (sony / other)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11th June 2020, 19:28

You will find it here -

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...userMarket=GBR

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page