Transmission fault after flat battery - Ford B-Max Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wiggy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 18th February 2020, 13:19 Thread Starter

Transmission fault after flat battery

Posted here in case it helps another owner.
The wifeís Bmax refused to start with all the symptoms of a flat battery. It was the original 2013 one so was past its best.
However... after a jump start it had the spanner light and transmission fault message which didnít go away after a battery change.
The fix was to plug in my OBDC dongle and using car scanner app on my iPhone simply clear the fault codes.
Problem gone.
Once the battery discharges below a certain level the TCM and ECU stop talking. A fault code is logged and on ignition switch on the code is read, the message displayed and the transmission and engine go into limp mode. In this case absolutely pointless as there is no longer an issue.
Replacing the battery isnít enough, resetting the fault codes is required so the car no longer knows it had a problem.
I bought the dongle from Amazon a while back and use the free version of the app just to read and reset fault codes. £10 To buy and 10 minutes to use has saved me the hassle of a 50 mile round trip to a dealer and the £75 they charge.

B-Max Titanium powershift 1.6 2013 Marine Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 18th February 2020, 16:36

Thanks for the heads up on this issue.
Nice to know about for the future.
Tivvyman likes this.

1 litre Zetec Turbo petrol 74Kw / 100 Ps
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 25th February 2020, 19:00 Thread Starter

And an unexpected benefit... the occasional auto clutch judder in second has disappeared. I can only guess that somehow clearing every fault code has caused the auto box to change some learned settings or start again. Both of us have noticed so itís not driver specific. Whatever, itís made an improvement so Iím not complaining.

B-Max Titanium powershift 1.6 2013 Marine Blue
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 7th March 2020, 22:10

I second having a OBD reader. I have a Toughbook (CF-19 Mk7 modded to high holy ****) loaded with ForScan, FoCCCus and a knock-off HS-CAN OBD2 cable so I can program most modern Fords.

'13 B-Max EcoBoost 125 Titanium Blazer Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page