Powershift new Clutch pack ordered. - Ford B-Max Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2nd November 2017, 17:43 Thread Starter

Hi group my 2016 powershift Bmax has been at the local Ford dealer having the powershift judder looked at. Just had a phone call from the dealer saying they have ordered the new updated clutch pack from Ford, say it is in Stock and the dealer should receive within 5 days and will be covered under warranty. I can collect my car and continue driving until the parts arrive.
This was my second visit to the dealer regarding judder. The first visit was a software update and relearn, which did nothing.
Has anyone one here had the new Clutch pack and does it fix the problem?
I had no trouble at all from the dealer and so far they have been spot on.
I will keep the group updated. Hoping this is the final fix as I love the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd November 2017, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_BMax_driver
Hi group my 2016 powershift Bmax has been at the local Ford dealer having the powershift judder looked at. Just had a phone call from the dealer saying they have ordered the new updated clutch pack from Ford, say it is in Stock and the dealer should receive within 5 days and will be covered under warranty. I can collect my car and continue driving until the parts arrive.
This was my second visit to the dealer regarding judder. The first visit was a software update and relearn, which did nothing.
Has anyone one here had the new Clutch pack and does it fix the problem?
I had no trouble at all from the dealer and so far they have been spot on.
I will keep the group updated. Hoping this is the final fix as I love the car.
Good news and bad news!
I have had the new clutch pack and it completely cured the judder.
Now the bad news....I was left with a continuous vibration, felt throughout the car, whenever the engine was running.
This was 'fixed' by undoing all the bolts holding the clutch pack, in place, and ensuring that they were centred very precisely and re tightening. This fixed the strong vibration but left me with a car that generated a buzz, felt through the steering wheel and various other parts of the car. This 'buzz' is sufficient to make hands and fingers numb on longer journeys.
I am now due to return to get my second, new design clutch pack, having already had two of the old design. I am now on first name terms with most people at the Ford dealers!

I was wrong once but then I could be mistaken.
2014 Bmax 1.6 Powershift Titanium X
Old 5th November 2017, 22:43
Ant

Good luck with the fix, hopefully Ford now know what the problem is since it's a global issue.
Old 6th November 2017, 11:21

Had my new clutch pack fitted a month ago tomorrow, done about 500 miles since and the car has been a pleasure to drive so far.

There's still an occasional roughness evident, but its possible now to enjoy the pleasant growl that the engine emits after changing down and building up speed for the next gear, and the note of the engine can even make you believe sometimes that you're driving something considerably more powerful.

Only slight bugbear following the clutch change is that a few days after getting the car back I noticed some oil on a bracket under the engine, which turned out to be the result of a leaking driveshaft/ diff oil seal. The dealer renewed it without quibble, but I would advise anyone who gets the clutch done to check under the car after a few hundred miles just to make sure all the seals are dry and intact.

I read a very interesting article written for the American market it which it was stated that some of the early problems were due to consumers believing that Powershift cars should drive like hydraulic automatics, and complaining when they didn't. The Powershift is, of course, a manual with electronically controlled automatic shift, and early complaints in the US were not only focused on the notorious judder, but about unexpected gear changes.

Once you accept that this gearbox ISN'T a bog standard, hydraulic automatic and that it does have quirks, it becomes easier to enjoy driving it.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160105/BLOG06/301059997/ford-gets-the-powershift-dual-clutch-transmission-right-but-is-it-too-
Old 6th November 2017, 12:07 Thread Starter

Cheers thanks for your input. Hopefully my replacement will go well and solve my problems.
Interesting article by the way.
I'll report back after my fix.
Old 6th November 2017, 12:10 Thread Starter

Thanks... Fingers crossed. I'll report back afterwards.
Old 10th November 2017, 20:25 Thread Starter

Hi, group just wanted to report back with my experience of the new Clutch pack, now installed in my B-Max.
I have driven 250 miles since it was fitted 3 days ago and so far so good.
The car drives like a dream with no judder or hesitation at all.
The gear changes are smooth and positive.
Acceleration is vastly improved. I urge any powershift owners having problems to to persue replacement of the clutch. Also great to know the warranty has been extended to 7 years by Ford.
A very happy B-Max powershift owner.
Old 10th November 2017, 23:06

Great news to hear that the clutch change has gone well for you.

However, last I heard, the gearbox warranty on Ford cars with Powershift in the UK was five years, although it is seven in Oz and the US, as well as (almost unbelievably) 10 years in Brazil.

Unless you were told otherwise by your dealer, in which case Happy Days!
Old 11th November 2017, 08:12 Thread Starter

Hi, yes I was told by the dealer that the warranty date for the powershift starts from the date the new Clutch pack was fitted. The dealer did confirm this after a phone call to Ford.
Old 11th November 2017, 19:51

So just to clarify, the new clutch that you've just had fitted is warrantied for how long?

Only asking because I assumed that mine is only covered until the car is five years from first registration, which will be next June.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in