Ford B-Max Forum banner

Judder discovered

14K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  Briangsf1200 
#1 ·
We have a B-Max auto and have found a judder when pulling away. Took car to main dealer to take alook. That afternoon they confirmed fault common to this automatic model. Dealer informed me they will fit a new clutch pack, but estimated it will take upto two weeks before car will be repaired and ready to collect. Our car is under 2 years old and only has approx 5000 miles on the clock.
Will keep you posted once work completed. Far from being happy.

Only consolation car still within 2 year warranty.

See less See more
#3 ·
I bought a 2nd hand b-max 62 plate with 7k on clock had it 3 weeks and now have clutch judder on pulling away .
Got it booked in for 10 June they say they will reset computer , but if persists will replace clutch , my question is
What is different about the new clutch to,stop same thing happening in another 8k miles ?
Wilseewhat happens after 10th

#4 ·
I would assume that because the software settings are incorrect that part do not move together as they should. This would cause wear and/or partial slipping which results in judder as it tries to work.

If the computer is reset to new settings this should stop the problem.

What i wonder is, as ear takes place does this affect the computer settings and does this mean a reset every so often?

I assume my clutch is controlled in a similar manner although mine is not automatic. I do really abuse the clutch with progressive quick driving and am always changing down to get quite acceleration. So far after nearly three years, no problems.

At one time I could smell the clutch burning when try to mount a high kerb fully laden.

#7 ·
Judder is common on 13 reg auto.usual procedure seems to be reset computor then change clutch.I had to go on waiting list for new clutch as they were in short supply.Its usually a poor oil seal the culprit.lots expained on utube as most of usa fords fiestas have autos and its the same unit.

#11 ·
My ford b max auto has a vibration the clutch parameters were adjusted it was ok for a month but is now getting worse. Ford seems to not want to carry out a permanent fix. Car has done only 6 k miles and is still in warranty. Has others had the same problem?

#13 ·
Ford seem to operate a type of wait and watch.I think its because a replacement unit is expensive and the judder has to reach a certain level on their diagnostics before allowing the agent to proceed.Im afraid its best to just keep on to them when it get worse..I found the judder got worse after a 20 mile drive.....the oil is then hot and thinner so if its a faulty seal more oil gets onto the clutch......So......when you can get booked in for an examination make sure it hot with a long run on a hot day.Good Luck.I repeat previous comment have a look on utube theres a ford mechanic explaining all this about fiesta clutches and as most americans use autos most of america is having new clutches and that a lot of clutches...I dont think he works for ford anymore!

#16 ·
Well now up to 12K miles and judder starting to come back and now getting a grating sound when pulling away , maybe changing from 2nd to 3rd gear. Beginning to think this was a bad buy seeing all the Clutch issues. Car been back in in August to be checked, but Garage couldn't reproduce the Judder as it is intermittent . Will see what happens after its been in for the noise.

#18 ·
Ok been back in for Noise and garage has done another TCM update and relearn , just need ford to LEARN this is an issue they need to fix, now been in 3 times , only driven it home from garage so far so have to wait and see AGAIN.
think if/When it re-occurs will take back in with a letter from Trading Standards , must be some rules/regs about this we can use to beat up Ford.

#22 ·
Hi olosteve ...search my name and you will see a fair bit of history re clutches.Im on my second replacement clutch.I believe the warrenty on clutches is extended.I recommend check with ford dealer .They have to get ok from ford before doing anything.It seems a slow process but you dont want to pay.Im told that hopefully the latest clutches are now ok.best of luck.

#23 ·
norman said:
Hi olosteve ...search my name and you will see a fair bit of history re clutches.Im on my second replacement clutch.I believe the warrenty on clutches is extended.I recommend check with ford dealer .They have to get ok from ford before doing anything.It seems a slow process but you dont want to pay.Im told that hopefully the latest clutches are now ok.best of luck.
Thanks, Norman, I will be contacting the dealer I bought the car from to see what i can do.

#24 ·
Hi Olosteve,

Norman is correct, we are on our third clutch, but this last one is of the new design, so far so good all the Judder problems have gone and the car is now as good as a new one.......all the work was covered under warranty, but it does take some time, there is back orders on clutch packs. Good luck.

#26 ·
Have just had software update for the Auto gearbox and have to say it seems to have made quite a difference to the way the car drives. Much smoother on take up and stopped hunting between 1st and 2nd. Also have found out that Fords have extended the warrantee on the gear box to 5 years, Result, and well done to Ford for fronting up the know fault.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.