Thinking of buying a B Max - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 1st January 2020, 12:14 Thread Starter

Thinking of buying a B Max

Hello folks, and a Happy New Year.
I am looking at buying a smaller car as a more econimical runabout/workhorse and fancy a B Max. My budget will limit me to an earlier car, 2012 or 2013. I have read a little and now decided to avoid an auto. There's one I've seen low miles, a 2012 1.6 TDCI with the sunroof, just wondered if there's any advice on what to avoid, what questions to ask.

We are based in France, secondhand cars are very expensive here, so I'm thinking maybe do what we've done before and get one from UK then register it over here. Only problem being that the last car we got from a garage in Preston, a nice looking low miles Fiat Panda -with FSH from Fiat - that turned out to have a silly bit of plastic broken that works the heater flap - a £1300 plus repair as it needs the whole heater box replacing and half the car dismantling. The aircon works fine ...
So, we have been very badly burned once, and we want to replace this disaster with something that works and is going to be reliable - NOT Fiat I hasten to add...
Any guarantee is pretty much worthless once we leave the UK with the car, but from experience I have little confidence that most car from France will have been properly serviced, they seem to think an oil change is a 'service' and most have very high miles. Quandary.

That said, I have a Mitsubishi Shogun which I bought used from UK and that's been a great car. I'm keeping that one, I've been a Pajero / Shogun owner since 2002 and a member on their forum since 2004..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 1st January 2020, 19:55

not bmax specific, but...

what kind of journeys do you do?
if its just local shopping, - don't get a diesel

where do you drive?
many cities are trying to banish diesels

insurance will probably be more for an imported car, especially a right hand drive one
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 1st January 2020, 21:00

Check EVERYTHING is working before buying the car.

John

Titanium X Tectonic Silver 1.0 125ps Eco.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2020, 23:18 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'm probably going to get a diesel, there's still zillions of them over here and the economy is quite a factor. I'm also seriously thinking of getting a RHD UK car as they are a lot cheaper. I will indeed check everything works, but would be grateful for any more insights regarding model specific things. Any known problems with the panoramic roofs - are the blinds a potential weak spot ?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th January 2020, 11:13

Panoramic roof is fine.
No issues with the blind. Nothing to go wrong really.

John

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 5th January 2020, 12:50 Thread Starter

Thats good to know, thanks. Re insurance raised by Gremlin, RHD doesn't seem to cost anymore than LHD. It's just expensive ...
We went and had a quick look at one for sale in our local Ford garage yesterday - we won't be buying it as it's a 2012 diesel got 60,000 miles on the clock, ( too much for me as I intend to keep the car for maybe 10 years or more ? ) black damage marks on the drivers door ( it's a white car ) and they are asking the equivalent of £7700 for it. We had a good look around and a sit in, it was interesting to sit in the back seat and discover that the rear doors really are heavy ! I had to use both hands to close it, though the car was on a very slight incline nose down. However, it's not really a problem as I usually drive and passengers would just have to cope.
The boot isn't as large as I anticipated, but we have a LWB Shogun so just about anything looks pretty small LOL
A French car, the inside was black with black accents, really just a tad OTT, and I do fancy a panoramic roof as long as the blinds work well for the summer - we got weeks of high 30s last year.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 5th January 2020, 20:23

Also the glass in the panoramic roof is reflecting type, so helps keep interior cool.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page