Ford B-Max Forum banner

New to the group 1.4 duratec

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  cianpars 
#1 ·
New to the group, just bought a 62 1.4 with 20k on the clock, really nice condition. It's is a bit of a punt getting to 70mph is that right? Also does anyone know what the engine code is for the 1.4? Thanks all.

#2 ·
I had that engine in my 2007 Fiesta. In my 2012 Fiesta I had the 1.25 which actually felt better than the 1.4.

I now have a B Max with a 1.0 123 bhp engine and this is fantastic compared to the other two. apparently will do 117 mph, though I've never tried it and I get over 46 mpg out of it too.

The 1.4 is OK, but in my opinion the B-MAX is a little bit heavy for it.

#3 ·
Hi and welcome,

Like anything it depends what you want with the 1.4.

I am on my second BMax and have now driven the 1.4 variant for 7 years. It is fine 2 up and will cruise all day at 70 on any roads where you can. It can get sluggish if 4 up with luggage and will need to get the boot in to maintain speed on heavy inclines, but if all you want is a car to get from A to B without testing the speed limits then it should be fine. At 20k the engine should be nicely bedded in.

Geri

#4 ·
Hi and welcome,

Like anything it depends what you want with the 1.4.

I am on my second BMax and have now driven the 1.4 variant for 7 years. It is fine

2 up and will cruise all day at 70 on any roads where you can. It can get sluggish if 4 up with luggage and will need to get the boot in to maintain speed on heavy inclines, but if all you want is a car to get from A to B without testing the speed limits then it should be fine. At 20k the engine should be nicely bedded in.

Geri
Thanks gents. Yeah I mean it ticks away at 3k revs at 70mph and seems happy enough. I did notice however that up a relatively good incline it was hard to get it to 59mph. Personally I don't mind the lack of speed/oomph, it's more reassurance that those things are the norm! Will say it's a very smooth drive.

#5 ·
Hi,

Forgot to mention reverse has some idiosyncracies. It may sometimes not fully engage first time leading to a grinding noise. This is a not uncommon 'feature' of the gearbox, but is not indicative of any serious problem. It may however lead to a loud noise from the passenger seat!

Just put it back into neutral, lift the clutch and try again from the beginning, being a little firmer with the gearstick this time. There is a thread about other remedies on this site.

Cheers,
Geri

#6 ·
Yep, I can vouch for the reverse gear issue which I had on my previous 2012 Fiesta as well as my 2016 B Max.

It's not a big problem though and I just need to engage reverse a little more firmly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.