New to the group 1.4 duratec - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 1st September 2019, 17:35 Thread Starter

New to the group 1.4 duratec

New to the group, just bought a 62 1.4 with 20k on the clock, really nice condition. It's is a bit of a punt getting to 70mph is that right? Also does anyone know what the engine code is for the 1.4? Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2019, 19:45

I had that engine in my 2007 Fiesta. In my 2012 Fiesta I had the 1.25 which actually felt better than the 1.4.

I now have a B Max with a 1.0 123 bhp engine and this is fantastic compared to the other two. apparently will do 117 mph, though I've never tried it and I get over 46 mpg out of it too.

The 1.4 is OK, but in my opinion the B-MAX is a little bit heavy for it.

B Max Titanium X 1.0 125 bhp in Magnetic with built in SatNav and rear sensors.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 4th September 2019, 07:30

Smile

Hi and welcome,

Like anything it depends what you want with the 1.4.

I am on my second BMax and have now driven the 1.4 variant for 7 years. It is fine 2 up and will cruise all day at 70 on any roads where you can. It can get sluggish if 4 up with luggage and will need to get the boot in to maintain speed on heavy inclines, but if all you want is a car to get from A to B without testing the speed limits then it should be fine. At 20k the engine should be nicely bedded in.

Geri

B-Max Zetec 1.4 Petrol
Mid 2015 build
Pretend Spare Wheel
City Pack
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 16th September 2019, 15:08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geriatricus View Post
Hi and welcome,

Like anything it depends what you want with the 1.4.

I am on my second BMax and have now driven the 1.4 variant for 7 years. It is fine

2 up and will cruise all day at 70 on any roads where you can. It can get sluggish if 4 up with luggage and will need to get the boot in to maintain speed on heavy inclines, but if all you want is a car to get from A to B without testing the speed limits then it should be fine. At 20k the engine should be nicely bedded in.

Geri
Thanks gents. Yeah I mean it ticks away at 3k revs at 70mph and seems happy enough. I did notice however that up a relatively good incline it was hard to get it to 59mph. Personally I don't mind the lack of speed/oomph, it's more reassurance that those things are the norm! Will say it's a very smooth drive.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 22nd September 2019, 15:41

Hi,

Forgot to mention reverse has some idiosyncracies. It may sometimes not fully engage first time leading to a grinding noise. This is a not uncommon 'feature' of the gearbox, but is not indicative of any serious problem. It may however lead to a loud noise from the passenger seat!

Just put it back into neutral, lift the clutch and try again from the beginning, being a little firmer with the gearstick this time. There is a thread about other remedies on this site.

Cheers,
Geri

B-Max Zetec 1.4 Petrol
Mid 2015 build
Pretend Spare Wheel
City Pack
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2019, 16:23

Yep, I can vouch for the reverse gear issue which I had on my previous 2012 Fiesta as well as my 2016 B Max.

It's not a big problem though and I just need to engage reverse a little more firmly.

B Max Titanium X 1.0 125 bhp in Magnetic with built in SatNav and rear sensors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page