Clutch heating up. - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 16th May 2019, 10:32 Thread Starter

Clutch heating up.

Hello BMax people.
I have owned a 2015 BMax with manual gear change for almost one year. Twice in that year the gears have suddenly jammed while I was driving. I just could not change gear. I waited for the breakdown person the last time it happened. By the time he arrived the gears had become free. He suggested that I was causing the clutch to heat up by some driver error,eg, not removing my foot completely from the pedal, and the clutch was overheating. I have been driving cars, mainly Fords, for 40 years and have not had this problem before.
The Ford dealer has said that they will strip down the clutch and if a part is broken they will replace it at no cost to me, but if there is wear on the clutch I will pay. The clutch is 4 years old, though the car has only 12000 miles on the clock. Is it not reasonable to expect some wear? The clutch is not slipping or showing signs of judder. Have there been any other problems with the BMax manual gears and clutch. I don't know where to go from here. I have only about two weeks left on the warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 16th May 2019, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
Hello BMax people.
I have owned a 2015 BMax with manual gear change for almost one year. Twice in that year the gears have suddenly jammed while I was driving. I just could not change gear. .
I would have thought the first course of action would be to drain the oil and check for debris with a magnet.
Other than that it could be a number of things.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 16th May 2019, 16:46 Thread Starter

Thank you. That is well out of my comfort zone. I expect that is the kind of thing the Ford garage would do.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 16th May 2019, 19:36

There shouldn't be much wear after only 12000 miles , assuming you are not a clutch rider that is ! Is there any noticeable burning smell ?

John

Titanium X Tectonic Silver 1.0 125ps Eco.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 16th May 2019, 20:30 Thread Starter

Red face Clutch rider? Moi?

No. In fact the car accelerates smoothly from zero, and shows no sign of slipping at any time. It's just this sticking of gears which happened in October 2018, and last week. I don't think after 40 years I have suddenly become a clutch rider. I am going to carry on and pay special attention to my clutch habits. I don't know how the clutch was treated for the first 3 years (7000) miles, but I don't think the BMax is a car chosen by crazy clutch riders.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 17th May 2019, 08:51

Maybe the gearbox - nothing to do with the clutch !

John

Titanium X Tectonic Silver 1.0 125ps Eco.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page