Corroding alloy wheels - Ford B-Max Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 28th May 2018, 18:13 Thread Starter

My BMax is 3.5 years old. Persistent loss of ture pressures. Local dealer assessed problem is valves not seating correctly due to corrosion of the wheels. Corrosion appears to be limited to vicinity of the valve. This seems to be an improbable occurrence for alloy wheels. All 4 wheels similarly affected.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 28th May 2018, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianYoung
My BMax is 3.5 years old. Persistent loss of ture pressures. Local dealer assessed problem is valves not seating correctly due to corrosion of the wheels. Corrosion appears to be limited to vicinity of the valve. This seems to be an improbable occurrence for alloy wheels. All 4 wheels similarly affected.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Yep, had all four done. Now the o/s/f is doing it again.
It's best to use a non Ford tyre dealer,
a) it's cheaper.
b) they usually clean the wheel around the valve stem, whereas Ford dealers have been known to just replace the valve and not fix the fault.

I was wrong once but then I could be mistaken.
2014 Bmax 1.6 Powershift Titanium X
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 28th May 2018, 21:14 Thread Starter

Thanks. It sounds like your experience of this is a tyre installation problem. If Ford dealer advice is correct then the root cause for me is wheel corrosion that prevents the valve seating correctly. Did you just have valve problems or was there a link to wheel corrosion? I'm really puzzled that this corrosion happens at all, especially on ""˜alloy' Wheels. Welcome your feedback
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 28th May 2018, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianYoung
Thanks. It sounds like your experience of this is a tyre installation problem. If Ford dealer advice is correct then the root cause for me is wheel corrosion that prevents the valve seating correctly. Did you just have valve problems or was there a link to wheel corrosion? I'm really puzzled that this corrosion happens at all, especially on ""˜alloy' Wheels. Welcome your feedback
It was air leaking around the base of the valve stem, where the wheel was corroded.

I was wrong once but then I could be mistaken.
2014 Bmax 1.6 Powershift Titanium X
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 28th May 2018, 22:53 Thread Starter

Thank you. Very helpful. Cheerio
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 28th May 2018, 22:55 Thread Starter

Sorry, one more thing. I've never heard of this problem before. Did it seem odd to you that this corrosion happened at all? It's got me baffled that an alloy wheel would corrode at all
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 29th May 2018, 17:12

Hi

Was a Materials Engineer before retiring,This sounds like a classic csae of Differential Material corrosion. That is when two materials with different electrode potentials are in contact in aqueous solution. Without knowing the exact position and alloys involved, I would say that a corrosion cell has been set up around the valve by removal of some protective coat (probably on the cast wheel) and corrosion setting in from there when the area gets moisture remaining.

As I say, without knowing the full circumstances of the failure this is only an educated guess. It does seem, however, to fit the photos which have been posted.

Geri

B-Max Zetec 1.4 Petrol
Mid 2015 build
Pretend Spare Wheel
City Pack
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 29th May 2018, 20:06

My Fiesta alloys are 5 yrs old and still like new. My B Max alloys are 1 year old and nowhere near as good as those on the Fiesta.

I will keep a close eye on them up to the end of the warranty period.

The problem of coroding alloys is not that unusual.

B Max Titanium X 1.0 125 bhp in Magnetic with built in SatNav and rear sensors.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 30th May 2018, 13:08

Hi Adrian. I had the exact same problem with the corrosion, less the leaking air though. My b max was just under 3 years old when I noticed 2 of them and upon presenting it back to my supplying Ford dealer they were very quick in replacing the 2 wheels in question. The other 2 have now started showing small signs of corrosion, but it now been out of it's 3 year warranty, I just have to live with it... or spend a ridiculous amount of money on 2 new wheels(which isn't going to happen)I do have to mention that I had done 30k miles in it during this time.

1.6 tdci, remapped to 120 bhp, Panther Black Titanium with rear view camera, nav pac and front sensors. Always willing to stop & help in any situation I can. Karma is a beautiful thing.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2018, 00:40

Hi, my BMax has tyre pressure monitor valves too and is 3.5yrs old.I started getting deflation on 1 alloy wheel at 2yrs 10mths then now the other 3 are deflating at different rates and Im constantly pumping up tyres! ATS poured foamy stuff on tyre valve bases and you can see air bubbling out on all 4 wheels! They say valves need replacing but they are Ford only parts so to buy them from dealer and come back!
Getting really cheesed off with my BMax as never had such a problem and its all Fords poor manufacturing.Used to love it now its becoming a liabilty and this is dangerous surely? Thanks for posts at least know Im not alone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford B-Max Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page