Ford B-Max Forum banner

Corroding alloy wheels

14K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Hywel S Wales 
#1 ·
My BMax is 3.5 years old. Persistent loss of ture pressures. Local dealer assessed problem is valves not seating correctly due to corrosion of the wheels. Corrosion appears to be limited to vicinity of the valve. This seems to be an improbable occurrence for alloy wheels. All 4 wheels similarly affected.
Has anyone else had this problem?

#2 ·
AdrianYoung said:
My BMax is 3.5 years old. Persistent loss of ture pressures. Local dealer assessed problem is valves not seating correctly due to corrosion of the wheels. Corrosion appears to be limited to vicinity of the valve. This seems to be an improbable occurrence for alloy wheels. All 4 wheels similarly affected.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Yep, had all four done. Now the o/s/f is doing it again.
It's best to use a non Ford tyre dealer,
a) it's cheaper.
b) they usually clean the wheel around the valve stem, whereas Ford dealers have been known to just replace the valve and not fix the fault.

#3 ·
Thanks. It sounds like your experience of this is a tyre installation problem. If Ford dealer advice is correct then the root cause for me is wheel corrosion that prevents the valve seating correctly. Did you just have valve problems or was there a link to wheel corrosion? I'm really puzzled that this corrosion happens at all, especially on ""˜alloy' Wheels. Welcome your feedback

#4 ·
AdrianYoung said:
Thanks. It sounds like your experience of this is a tyre installation problem. If Ford dealer advice is correct then the root cause for me is wheel corrosion that prevents the valve seating correctly. Did you just have valve problems or was there a link to wheel corrosion? I'm really puzzled that this corrosion happens at all, especially on ""˜alloy' Wheels. Welcome your feedback
It was air leaking around the base of the valve stem, where the wheel was corroded.

#7 ·
Hi

Was a Materials Engineer before retiring,This sounds like a classic csae of Differential Material corrosion. That is when two materials with different electrode potentials are in contact in aqueous solution. Without knowing the exact position and alloys involved, I would say that a corrosion cell has been set up around the valve by removal of some protective coat (probably on the cast wheel) and corrosion setting in from there when the area gets moisture remaining.

As I say, without knowing the full circumstances of the failure this is only an educated guess. It does seem, however, to fit the photos which have been posted.

Geri

#8 ·
My Fiesta alloys are 5 yrs old and still like new. My B Max alloys are 1 year old and nowhere near as good as those on the Fiesta.

I will keep a close eye on them up to the end of the warranty period.

The problem of coroding alloys is not that unusual.

#9 ·
Hi Adrian. I had the exact same problem with the corrosion, less the leaking air though. My b max was just under 3 years old when I noticed 2 of them and upon presenting it back to my supplying Ford dealer they were very quick in replacing the 2 wheels in question. The other 2 have now started showing small signs of corrosion, but it now been out of it's 3 year warranty, I just have to live with it... or spend a ridiculous amount of money on 2 new wheels(which isn't going to happen)I do have to mention that I had done 30k miles in it during this time.

#10 ·
Hi, my BMax has tyre pressure monitor valves too and is 3.5yrs old.I started getting deflation on 1 alloy wheel at 2yrs 10mths then now the other 3 are deflating at different rates and Im constantly pumping up tyres! ATS poured foamy stuff on tyre valve bases and you can see air bubbling out on all 4 wheels! They say valves need replacing but they are Ford only parts so to buy them from dealer and come back!
Getting really cheesed off with my BMax as never had such a problem and its all Fords poor manufacturing.Used to love it now its becoming a liabilty and this is dangerous surely? Thanks for posts at least know Im not alone.

#11 ·
The tyre valves are defiantly order able from different sources other than ford. The valves should be changed according to manufacturers specs every time you change a wheel, but. It isn't the valves that are at fault, it is the corrosion around the valve.

#12 ·
B Max owner

Same problem here. Car 3yrs 6m old. Started loosing air from a tyre a couple of months ago now others are showing the same problem. Corrosion round the valve stem where it fits on the alloy wheel. Never had this problem with any other car I have owned, and I've owned a few. I might just have to ask the tyre repair guys to fit inner tubes to overcome the problem.

#15 ·
I don't know about anyone else, but I would say that the alloys on my BMax seem very poor quality compared with my previous Fiestas. Certainly noting a bit of surface pitting and regularly need to add air to the tyres and its less than 3 years old.

#16 · (Edited)
MartynC

All four of my alloy wheels were leaking round the valve stem a different rates. The leakage on the drivers side front wheel was so bad that it was causing the steering to pull to one side. I then removed and submerged each wheel in pool of water which showed the base of the valve stem was the single point of leakage on each wheel. Never heard of this problem before. BMax is only just over 2 years old

B Max Titanium Navigator 1.0 125 bhp in Magnetic, SatNav and rear sensors.

#18 ·
My Bmax is a 64 plate and I have never had any problems with losing tyre pressure. I never use any proprietary spray-on wheel cleaner for a start, and ensure that the alloys get a clean at least every two weeks with turtle wax wash and two brushes - a narrow one to get in the spokes and a broader feathered one for the easier areas.

#19 ·
Richard Keasley

I have had the same problem with a 2014 car.
I had three wheels corrode at once after new tyres were fitted in August 2017, which I had to replace.
Now I have to replace another wheel (it may not be one of those already replaced).
It appears when you replace the tyres, you have to replace the wheels as well.
My local Ford dealer appears unaware of the problem, but I discover today it is common.
Would we be better off using steel wheels, which I assume will last longer?

#22 ·
Titanium x tpms problem

I have had the same problem with a 2014 car.
I had three wheels corrode at once after new tyres were fitted in August 2017, which I had to replace.
Now I have to replace another wheel (it may not be one of those already replaced).
It appears when you replace the tyres, you have to replace the wheels as well.
My local Ford dealer appears unaware of the problem, but I discover today it is common.
Would we be better off using steel wheels, which I assume will last longer?
August 2020 B Max Titanium X 65 plate 18000 miles, Two valves leaking all four showing signs of corrosion spider marks in and around valve cores,- corrosion. local ford dealer could see no problem when asked to investigate pressure loss. Local independant tyre fitter identified leaking valve, could either, clean, replace, clean and supply new TPMS £40 for all four wheels or for £62 per wheel, powder coat all four wheels, supply and fit new TPMS and guarantee no future problem, one day turnaround- date fixed for coating 4th September will report back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.