FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford B-Max Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello today.

We have a Ford B-Max Gallery and all the latest Ford B-max News that is well worth checking out too.

B MAX 1.6 Auto

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Showbiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Showbiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B MAX 1.6 Auto
    Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 6:45pm
Hi guys,

Our family is going to get bigger soon and we've decided to change my wife's car. 
Yesterday we went to a Ford dealer and fell in love with the B-MAX 1.6 auto. The car is from 2014 and has 3900 miles on clock... pretty much new! After some negotiation with the dealer, we decided to buy the car with a 3 years standard ford warranty.

Unfortunately I just found this forum yesterday (after paying the deposit)... It seems that these auto gearboxes are not very reliable.... I did drive the car and couldn't find any problem with it, actually found it quite "smooth" and nice to drive, but now I'm quite reluctant about the choice we made.. the car is covered for the next 3 years but the last thing I want to spend time with recurrent gearbox problems.

Now the questions are: 
- has anyone who owns one 1.6 auto b-max (petrol) never had any issues with the gearbox?
- I've paid 500£ of deposit. Given the fact that I'm looking for a car to keep for around 5-6 years (covering 5000-6000 miles year), should I go ahead and buy the car or try to pull out of deal and most likely loose 500£?

What are you thoughts about this?

Many thanks 

Sponsored Links

jackkook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:39am
Welcome to the site Showbiz, my advice is pull out of the deal even if you lose the deposit, have you see these 28 pages about B-Max Auto's=  
http://www.bmaxownersclub.co.uk/forum/powershift-gearbox-judder_topic687_page28.html
Jack, B-Max Titanium 1.5 diesel,intercooler,SOHC, manual G/B, Moondust Silver,30/9/2016.
cianpars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cianpars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:18am
There are equally thousands of others who have had no problems with their powershifts at all. Personally, I would not buy one though.

Now I have the 1.0 123 bhp manual and the engine and gearbox are brilliant.
B Max Titanium X 1.0 125 bhp in Magnetic with built in SatNav and rear sensors.
number6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Showbiz Showbiz wrote:

Hi guys,

Our family is going to get bigger soon and we've decided to change my wife's car. 
Yesterday we went to a Ford dealer and fell in love with the B-MAX 1.6 auto. The car is from 2014 and has 3900 miles on clock... pretty much new! After some negotiation with the dealer, we decided to buy the car with a 3 years standard ford warranty.

Unfortunately I just found this forum yesterday (after paying the deposit)... It seems that these auto gearboxes are not very reliable.... I did drive the car and couldn't find any problem with it, actually found it quite "smooth" and nice to drive, but now I'm quite reluctant about the choice we made.. the car is covered for the next 3 years but the last thing I want to spend time with recurrent gearbox problems.

Now the questions are: 
- has anyone who owns one 1.6 auto b-max (petrol) never had any issues with the gearbox?
- I've paid 500£ of deposit. Given the fact that I'm looking for a car to keep for around 5-6 years (covering 5000-6000 miles year), should I go ahead and buy the car or try to pull out of deal and most likely loose 500£?

What are you thoughts about this?

Many thanks 

As one of the owners of the 1.6 auto complaining on here, I have been through all of the problems. Ford have been aware, for years, that the auto clutch is not fit for purpose and have been trying all sorts of temporary fixes to spread the cost and wait for a proper fix.
The latest 'Clutch Pack' IS a proper fix. I have had this in the last few weeks and the judder has gone. I just have a vibration issue, which I believe is down to the fitting at the Ford dealer.
The many, many, good points of the car make it worth having. Just make sure that you insist upon the latest Clutch Pack being fitted before you take delivery, if it hasn't already.
Just be aware that, previously, replacement clutch packs have been installed but they were the old design. They had to clear the stocks of them first, even though they knew it wasn't a fix.
Be aware that to experience the judder, on my Bmax, I had to go on a 20/30min run first. Then any stop/start work would bring it on. A cold short test run did not produce the judder on my car.
I was wrong once but then I could be mistaken.
2014 Bmax 1.6 Powershift Titanium X
desthemoaner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desthemoaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:56pm
Showbiz, I'd concur with Number 6's opinion. Its a great car in any other guise but the Powershift, but it can be a great car with Powershift also; IF you have patience and determination, and you're within the five year gearbox warranty. 

I too have the 1.6 auto, and having owned it for three months I was determined right from the start to get all the fixes available in order to make up for what I quickly realised could have been a disastrous buy. 

My car also has the newest clutch pack and is now a pleasure to drive. I had a small glitch after the clutch pack was fitted when a driveshaft oil sea developed a slight leak, but the dealer fixed it without quibble. 

These cars do need to get warm before they develop the characteristic judder, but unlike the situation that prevailed in the early days of this problem arising, by and large the dealers now know what they're dealing with and should also know how to fix it. 

Essentially, if your car has the new clutch pack you should be fine. If not, you can look forward to being without the car for a good few days while they fix it, but IMO its still worth the wait. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic