FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford B-Max Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

We are still growing so don't be shy! Register and say hello today.

We have a Ford B-Max Gallery and all the latest Ford B-max News that is well worth checking out too.

Alternative to dealer GAP insurance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
hallii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hallii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 3:06pm

When I insured with A-Plan they charged me £10 extra for cover that gets me a new car if mine is written off in the first year. It's not called gap cover but seems to do the same job?

My previous Polo was written off with the same cover and they bought me a new car, exactly the same delivered to my door.

Geoff

Sponsored Links

makem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 3:38pm
I am currently dealing with a martin Duff at Chrisknott.

He quoted £14080 as being today's value for my Nov 2012 B-MAX. That surprised me as I would have thought it would have depreciated more.

I asked if the cover would include all the extras I had installed prior to delivery. He asked me to email him with a list and said he would contact the insurer and see if this would increase the Glasses guide price.

Something worth noting if anyone goes for a quote.

I will post again when I am given a final quote.

One thing that concerns me with this type of insurance is that it only covers write-offs. Now looking at the picture of one of our members cars which looked a write off, maybe the insurer will go for repair at all costs?

I am assuming that the decider of whether it is a write-off or not is the GAP insurer and not your car insurer. Maybe the GAP insurer lets the car insurer decide? Something worth investigating.
dagdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dagdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 4:13pm

I don't think the GAP insurer is allowed to be the car insurer so there is not a conflict of interest. Martin was who I dealt with at Chris Knott.

That sounds a good glasses guide valuation makem. It is more than I've just paid for my Jan 2014 reg (after the various discounts I managed, but it's only a 100ps zetec) 

Dave

Edited by dagdave - 10 Feb 2014 at 4:15pm
Dagenham Dave does Cornwall - 1.0 Zetec 100PS Frozen White registered 30th January 2014
JOHNWALES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOHNWALES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Specialk Specialk wrote:

I obviously know what I am talking about, because you would spend £349:00 rather than £110.

Listen to the people you think knows what they are talking about rather than the forum or me giving you a link to cheap GAP insurance, and pay more. How stupid and rude when all I was pointing out that you obviously missed the GAP posting in club discounts that has been there since 2012.

I am glad you know what you are talking about Specialk.   Where are you coming fro when you claim I am stupid and rude ???     I have never taken out Gap insurance for any of my cars,  nor for that matter regretted it.   I take offence at your comments and would appreciate an explanation.

Thank you.

makem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 5:04pm
I have just told ChrisKnott the extras fitted and the quote of £14080 remains the same Cry

This is what I added:

Active City Stop
Additional £200

City Pack
Additional £200

Sony DAB Radio/CD Navigation system
Additional £400

Heated Front Seats
Additional £175

Keyless Entry
Additional £250

Privacy Glass
Additional £200

Spare Wheel 14” x 5.5”
Additional £100

My car also has stop/start which is not mentioned in the Ford configure guide for a 1.0L Ecoboost Titanium.

Total book price today is £19600.

Anybody bought a car with same/similar spec recently? Would be interesting to see how the prices have changed since I bought.

dagdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dagdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 6:00pm

Ouch! If you are keeping the car long term and you really want the extras then fine but you never seem realise any value from them later on.

The only extras I had were Frozen White (£250, white all the rage apparently), Spare Wheel (£100, don't trust those squirty tyre repair things) and Sync (£250 less £225 discount as I said I didn't want it but the car in stock had it, he he!) Glad I got it as even the voice activation seems to understand me.

Paid under £12,000 on the road which I was pretty pleased with after a morning's negotiation. Went in on the first Monday in January. Miserable weather, everyone back at work and a deserted dealership looking for a sale.

Dagenham Dave does Cornwall - 1.0 Zetec 100PS Frozen White registered 30th January 2014
makem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by dagdave dagdave wrote:

Ouch! If you are keeping the car long term and you really want the extras then fine but you never seem realise any value from them later on.

The only extras I had were Frozen White (£250, white all the rage apparently), Spare Wheel (£100, don't trust those squirty tyre repair things) and Sync (£250 less £225 discount as I said I didn't want it but the car in stock had it, he he!) Glad I got it as even the voice activation seems to understand me.

Paid under £12,000 on the road which I was pretty pleased with after a morning's negotiation. Went in on the first Monday in January. Miserable weather, everyone back at work and a deserted dealership looking for a sale.

I never think about the re-sale value, just buying what I need. Of course I didn't pay the book price but wait for others to say what they paid recently as my car is nearly 2 years old now.

I didn't part exchange and sold my previous car for £3000 more than the dealer offer of £1500. I think I paid £14.500 for a £17.500 car and sold it for £4500 after 7 years. That car was bought by an enthusiast, other every day buyers would not go near it.
Specialk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Specialk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 7:52pm

Ok, I was not going to entertain you but an explanation:

When you reported that the poster who had given info on cheap GAP insurance had given the best info ever on the forum I was pointing out that the info on cheap GAP had been available on this forum since September 2012 and you obviously had not seen it, and that you need to read the posts more clearly. I do not think this comment of mine was rude. However, when you posted this:

Perhaps John Wales has not got the spare time to read all the posts. I tend to concentrate on the people who I think know what they are talking about !!!!

I believe this comment to be pointed at me personally in that you would ignore my comments because you do not believe my inputs to be serious or knowledgeable.

In that respect I thought you were rude.

So, after seeing the seat cleaning post about WD40, which you obviously did, again you did not read the post correctly because the poster was referring to the plastic on the back of the seat and not the cloth, so I came to the conclusion that it would be stupid to ignore something that would work and any one would be stupid if they would ignore advise that I know would save them a lot of money as with the GAP.

When you gave this comment:  I tend to concentrate on the people who I think know what they are talking about !!!!  this in my opinion was having a go at me whereas I was just pointing out to you to look more carefully at the posts.

dagdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dagdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 8:42pm

Not really wishing to get involved, but I will...

Specialk and JOHNWALES, I think maybe my post said it all in a no nonsense way, no clicking on links or getting quotes etc. Sometimes you can have information overload.

It is so easy to rub people up the wrong way on forums, I've done it myself without trying!

As for WD40, I've used it on plastic trim on my 9 year old 148,000 mile van but wouldn't use it on my new car. Horses for courses I say

Let's all get on eh?

Specialk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Specialk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 10:44pm
I agree dagdave.The forum is a good source of information and all should consider advise given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic